Haunting | Jung Hoseok

Character / Genre: Jung Hoseok x reader | Angst | 1,178 words

Inspired by: Sermon by James Arthur

❈❈❈

I need you to feel that you're more than enough

I already know you're deserving of love

It's not a question that you are the one that I need

❈❈❈

The knock on the door was gentle, yet it could still break the silence of the night, waking Hoseok from his peaceful slumber. He walked passed the living room with a quick glance over at the clock to see the time. It was close to sunrise, and Hoseok could only guess who it would be standing at the other side of the door.

He stopped right at the door, taking deep breaths to keep himself grounded, preparing himself before he must face the one that he had been turning his back from. Right when the soft knock was getting slower and softer, he finally opened the door, finally standing face to face to the living fragments of his painful past.

"Y/N."

You lifted your face to look at him, your weak hand was still hanging in the air, ready to give another knock. You tried your best to control yourself, yet the moment you meet his eyes, every will started to crumble. A sob escaped you at the sight of him before you. Completely unable to speak out words, only having the power to call out for his name in a hushed whisper, "Hoseok."

The cold gaze in his eyes softened as he took in your sight. The annoyance he had when he was pulled away from his sleep dissipated when he saw the tears brimming in your eyes. He could only sigh, as he studied you silently - the dishevelled hair, the smudged makeup, the wrinkled dress and the way you had to struggle only to be able to stand on your heels - he silently guessed where you had come from.

"Why are you here at this kind of hour?"

"I- I- I don't want to go back there," you stammered your answer. Your gaze wavered from his eyes, shaking as they showed the gloom in your heart and the alcohol running in your blood.

Hoseok shook his head gently, another sigh came out of him when your dry voice gave stabbing pain in his heart. "Come in. You can rest on the sofa and I can get you some water and warm clothes."

You stepped into his apartment as he moved aside, giving you space to walk by. You kept walking towards the living room, settling yourself on the sofa while Hoseok went straight to the kitchen to retrieve you some cool water. The silence was sickening, so you focused more on the pounding that lingered in your head and the way the floor beneath you were spinning. You were dozing off to sleep already right after you gave in to the alcohol in your system, until Hoseok came back, grazing the cold glass of water onto your palm.

"Drink this, you will feel slightly better after."

You lifted your droopy head to look at his face as he set your palm to take the glass from his hand, before he guided your hand to lift the drink to your chapped lips, urging you to take a sip with a nod of his head. You kept your eyes on him as you slowly drink up, and kept that gaze on him still when he took the glass away before he kneeled before you on the floor. He mumbled something as he settled himself facing you, probably questioning about where you came from, but all words were muffled by your restless thoughts.

You didn't say anything to him. The look in his eyes left you in a complete daze. You lifted your palm to cup his cheeks, stroking your thumbs over his skin. Every thought and every pain filled your mind and body, and you couldn't find any words to speak them out.

"I missed you-" You whispered to him. Your voice was soft, but sounded loud as it pierced through the night.

He only sighed, biting down his lips before he spoke - with one hand touching your exposed knee and placing the other at the back of your hand that was still cupping his face, "Y/N, answer my question. Please-"

"What? I- what did you say-"

"Did something happen tonight?"

His words struck a chord within you. The dam inside you threatening to crumble as you relive what had been happening in your life, and what had happened earlier tonight. "I'm so sorry, Hoseok. I'm so sorry-" you sobbed before him. "Forgive me for doing you wrong. For hurting you-"

"Y/N. Don't do this," he whispered to you. He didn't want to talk about the past, but he couldn't make himself push you away. Not when you were so fragile. And so beautiful.

"No- I can't- I can't stop thinking about how I've done you wrong. You gave me everything, and I had loved you just the same, but-"

"But you still left me-"

The look in his eyes was filled with regrets and pain. Both of you kept silent, keeping your eyes staring deep into each other, your hands still on his cheeks while his were still holding yours. He gave a light squeeze on your knee as he moved his face to the side to give a lingering kiss on your palm.

The warmth of his lips over your skin caused you to finally crumble, letting go the tears until they finally fall over your cheeks. He leaned forward, pressing his lips to leave the same gentle kiss on your forehead, before resting his forehead on yours. "Why-" he sighed. "Why do you keep letting him hurt you like this? You deserve better, Y/N. Much, much better."

I could've treated you better than he does.

The words never left his lips, even though they were already hanging on the tip of his tongue, even after they keep haunting him every night since you walked away.

You kept sobbing before him, whispering the words - forgive me - repeatedly to him. There were regrets in your heart, and pain so deep that even you had no hopes of finding a way to fix them.

He didn't give you any answer, only lifting the hand that was resting over your knee to graze his finger over your smudged lipstick, wiping them away gently while wishing he could rest his lips on them instead. He had forgiven you since a long time ago, and he had been doing nothing more than to open up his heart and his arms for you to run to whenever you were hurt.

Hoseok would always be ready to give you his comfort, always ready to take in the pain you share with him.

"I will always love you, Y/N. Always."

He knew that saying those words at this moment was a wrong thing to do. But he couldn't help it. He didn't want to let you go. Not yet.

But then he grazed over your fingers, and he could feel every hope inside his heart shattering as the tip of his fingers met the cold metal binding on your ring finger. Because he knew then, that the moment morning comes, he would have to watch you walk away from him again.

❈❈❈