It was basically her wedding day. She was just as cripplingly anxious as she was excited out of her mind.

Sophie threw the blankets off her and excitedly skipped across the room to get to their bathroom. She stepped beside Cortez, who was already brushing his teeth, and was quick to catch up with him. Cortez stared down at his little mate as she vigorously brushed her teeth, making sure to hit every single tooth, nook, and cranny in her mouth. She could see Cortez staring in the mirror and peeked up at him with a noticeable smile.

After spitting in the sink, Sophie wiped the corners of her mouth. "I'm excited to get married to you today."

Cortez tilted his head with a curious jolt of his eyebrows. He continued brushing for a moment before spitting as well. "You're not scared?"

As Sophie spoke, she began gliding her hands up Cortez's chest. "I'm not scared one bit. I don't have to worry about you eventually cheating on me or ever wanting a divorce or something because we're mates. I know we're not getting actually married because everything is different around here but I think this is better than..."

When her hands were finally in her peripheral vision, she spotted something shiny that shut her up. Sophie's eyes dropped from Cortez's and found the diamond ring shining brightly on her ring finger. Her jaw instantly dropped and her eyes widened and pricked with hot tears.

There was an engagement ring on her finger.

The look on her face instantly made a smile spread across Cortez's face. "Do you like it?" He asked, grabbing her other hand and placing a kiss on her knuckles.

Sophie couldn't stop staring at it. "This is for me?"

"Yes, Gorgeous. That's why it's on your finger." Cortez chuckled.

"When did you get it?"

"I went with my father and Miguel while you were shopping with my mother."

A tear rolled down Sophie's cheek but she was quick to wipe it away, pulling her hand off Cortez's chest and looking closely at the ring. Cortez pulled Sophie against him and planted a million kisses on the top of her head as she stared at the ring on her finger. Part of him worried that she hated it. Was she crying from joy or out of fear?

"Do you like it, baby?" Cortez murmured against her hair.

"Yes. Of course." Sophie sniffled, her voice soft and weak. But then she began shaking her head. "You really didn't have to, Cortez. When I asked, I wasn't trying to hint at you to.."

Cortez cut her off. "I know, I know. But this is part of human culture, right? Just because you're a wolf now, doesn't mean you have to abandon all your past dreams. You dreamt of a wedding ring so I got you a wedding ring."

"Well, technically, this would be considered an engagement ring.." Sophie mindlessly corrected as she stared at the diamond.

Cortez broke away from Sophie with a groan. "Shit! Did I get you the wrong one? The guy at the store said this was a good one!"

Sophie looked up at Cortez, noticed the anger in his voice and written all over his face, and happily smiled. She cupped his face in her hands and shook her head. "No, baby, this is the right one. This is perfect. I really, really love it."

Cortez continued to frown. He wasn't convinced. "I can try to return it and get a wedding ring."

Sophie chuckled and pulled him closer. "I'm telling you, baby, this is right. It's an engagement ring. I was talking about a wedding band that you get during the ceremony. But we're not marriage yet, or will ever be, so this is right. You got the right one."