Chapter 7

BED.

"I'll send you home," Archer said as he got out his keys from his pocket.

"It's fine. My car's right there." I gestured towards my car. 

"Again, I wasn't asking. I don't want you driving alone. I'll send you to school tomorrow too. You can pick your car up then." Archer let out as he walked next to me, skilfully grabbing my sling bag in his hands, sliding it off of my shoulders. He slung it over his shoulder as he walked to his car, not passing me a glance.

"What—?" I just stared at the back of his form as I stood there, mind boggled. Everything happened too fast, and the next thing I knew, I was walking up to his car. I got in and fish out my phone to inform Lina that I wouldn't be able to pick her up.

"Do I have to do everything for you?" I heard him groan right before he leaned over to me, his face inches apart from mine.

I felt his hot breath dance over my neck, causing goosebumps to prickle onto my skin.

I instantly pressed my back against the car seat, trying my best to avoid physical contact with him. I don't think my mind could take it.

He stretched his arm out and pulled onto the seatbelt and buckled it for me. My cheeks flushed red as I felt them go hot. "I could've done it," I said slightly over a whisper.

"But you didn't."

• • •

Most of the car ride was silent, there was a weird tension between us and I couldn't understand why.

I tried easing it with small talk but it somehow made it worse.

We had never been this tense with each other. I guess having my ex borderline on kidnap and drag me to his car in the middle of the day does call for some tension. 

"You know—" Archer started, finally breaking the quiet atmosphere. "—you don't have to stay quiet."

He said and I frowned. "Hm?" I looked at him, hoping he wasn't referring to the awkward silence around us because that would just make it worse.

"You should tell someone, about that guy." He continues and that's when I realise he's talking about Luca and not my inability to converse under the pressure of the situation. 

"What's his name anyway? Who is he?" His voice progressively gets darker with each question, his grip on the steering wheel tightened as the veins on his arm became more prominent.

"His name is Luca and—" I paused as I looked at Archer, wondering how my relationship with my professor came to this. "He's my ex." I let out, pressing my lips together, displaying a tight-lipped smile. 

"Huh." He scoffed slightly, licking the corner of his lips. "You should tell someone. Preferably, the police." Archer tells me and a sigh leaves my lips.

"It's not that simple." 

"I think it is. See?" He pulls out a phone from his pocket, one hand still on the steering wheel. A part of me tense. "Now all you do is press—"

"Eyes on the road," I snapped, snatching the phone out of his grasp and he glances at me with furrowed brows. "You're a professor. I would've expected you to know that you're not allowed to use your phone behind the wheel."

"Look—"

"I don't want to talk about this anymore." I place his phone in the centre console as I averted my gaze. I stared out the window, looking at the sun's set, hoping it'd bring me the calm I needed. The orange that had a pink hue was dotted with white clouds as the golden orb rested right above the horizon.