I decided to close my eyes to rest some more becuase I wasn't sure what else to do. There was a TV in the room, but I wasn't into TV all that much. A few moments after I closed my eyes, I heard the sound of heels against tile enter my room. I twisted in the small bed to face the doorway to find my mom entering my room.

"Hello, Madison. How are you feeling this morning?" she asked, taking a seat in the large chair in the corner and crossing one leg over the other. 

I considered ignoring her completely, but she was making the effort to come here. "Ok, I guess," I told her, my voice coming out hoarse from not talking in awhile. 

"Have some water dear. You sound dreadful." She stood up and handed me the styrofoam glass sitting on the tray table. 

"Thanks," I mumbled at her comment. I sipped the water from the straw, the liquid soothing my sore throat. "Is dad working?" I asked, wanting to see my father. 

"Yes. He couldn't take another day off from the shop. I had to reschedule my meeting, but one of us needed to check to see how you were doing." I stared hard at her. I hated how she made me feel like a burden and how work was so much more important than me. It wasn't like I asked for this. "Has the doctor been in yet today?"

I shook my head. "I've been sleeping most of the day."

"Alright well, I'm going to go find the doctor and have a chat." She placed an hand on my shoulder. "Your father or I will be back to visit tonight with Caleb. How does that sound?"

"Good," I smiled at her. Seeing Caleb would make up for her lack of warmth. She left without another word and I fell back onto the mass of pillows behind me. I decided to flip through the channels on the TV instead of taking a nap since I felt more awake now. My body was still weak as ever, but I felt as if I could keep my eyes open for longer than five minutes. I stopped the TV on a cooking show and watched as the chef cooked some elaborate meal with foods I couldn't reproduce the names of. It made me wish that I could cook more than mac and cheese and other simple meals. I ended up watching this channel until Calum showed up at my door a few hours later. 

"Hey, Madison," he said, opening the door slowly. A smile instantly appeared on my face at the sight of him. He looked adorable in a gray sweater and black skinny jeans. One of his hands was behind his back as he entered the room and walked up to my bedside. 

"Whatcha got there?" 

"Something for my lady," he replied, pulling out a bouquet of tulips of various colors. "You probably hate these. My mom helped me pick them out," he explained, embarassed. 

I reached out for the flowers, putting them up to my nose and taking a giant whiff of them. "They're lovely, Calum. Thank you." 

"Here I'll go get something to put them in," he said and grabs the bouquet from me and rushes out of the room before returning a few minutes later, a vace in hand. He fills in with water before placing it on the table next to my bed and putting the flowers in it. "How does that look?"

"Wonderful. Thank you. You do too much for me," I tell him as I grab his hand and pull him to sit on the edge of my bed. 

"Bringing you flowers is too much?" 

I shook my head and gave him a smile, wishing that I could explain it to him. He was here for me and I could tell that he actually cared for me. He would spend all day here if he could. That was more than I could say for my mom. Instead of saying anything at all, I pulled his face to mine and pressed a kiss to his lips before we stretched out on the small hospital bed and turned our attention to the cooking show that was still playing on the TV.

"I want to learn to cook," I tell him. "Do you know how to cook?"

He let out a laugh which causes me to laugh. "I've never cooked a thing in my life, Madison. Unless cereal counts becuase I can make a mean cereal." At this, I laugh even harder.

"Cereal most definitely doesn't count!" I said between my laughs and soon my eyes are watering. 

"Hey! I think you would like my cereal!" he protested, crossing his arms over his chest. 

"But really, Calum. Do you think I would be a good cook?" I asked once our laughing subsided some. 

He ran a finger along my arm, sending a chill throughout my body. "I think you could do anything you set your mind to and that includes cooking." I sigh at his answer, knowing he believes the words he is saying. He pulled my body closer to his and turn our attention back to the TV and I began to feel weak again. 

The door opening causes Calum to jump from the bed and me to sit up quickly. "What's going on dear?" My mom asked as she entered the room, Caleb holding onto her hand.

"Calum's visiting," I explained.

"Hello, Mrs. Wright," Calum said, holding out his hand to her, but she ignored him.

"I thought you said dad was coming," I whined.

"He's parking the car, Madison. Really, are you not happy to see me or your brother?" She folded her arms over her chest as she eyed Calum as he nervously shifted from foot to foot. 

"I didn't say that," I rolled my eyes. "Come here, Caleb." I held out my hands to my little brother and pulled him up onto my bed. 

"Maddie!" he exclaimed and wrapped his chubby arms around my neck. 

"How are you, little guy? Eating those vegetables to get nice and strong?" He separated from me and made a disgusted face. I laughed. "When I get outta here, we're gonna go to the park ok?"

"That's enough, Madison," my mom scolded. "Don't make promises you can't keep."

I glared at her and tried my best to hold back my tears. Her words stung and I found it hard to even look at Caleb right now. I gave him one quick hug and set him back on the ground. He walked back to mom and crawled onto her lap. "I'd like some privacy, mom. If that's alright," I whimpered, trying to make my voice sound strong. 

"FIne. I'll tell your father you said hello and that he can see you tomorrow."

"Thank you," I tell her and she takes Caleb with her out of the room.

I pulled my knees to my chest and hug my arms around them. My mom didn't think I was going to make it out of here, which meant I probably wasn't. My life was ending. It was really happening. I wasn't prepared for this. I let my tears fall down my cheeks a few minutes later, not worrying that Calum would see them. 

He sat down in front of me on the bed and grabbed my hands in his. "I'll be here no matter what. I'm never going to leave you, Madison."

"That's not what matters," I tell him. "Because I'm going to leave you." 

god, I'm crying again. does anyone hate her mom as much as me? please vote/comment because it means so much to me and i love you all for reading xx zoe