Chapter 20 | Arenia's Choice

Arenia flicked her hood over her head and walked into the street again, darkness covering the sky. I was in there for a while, she thought to herself. Arenia's fingers fumbled with the orange gem in her pocket, tossing it between her hands.

The street was less crowded than earlier, no more shopkeepers trying to get tourists to purchase various products of theirs. It was colder as well, but it was never cold to begin with. Sehope was located in the desert, you know. But Sehope was also on the shore of Renya, so the two cancelled each other out and the city had decent weather.

She walked through the street, heading back to her hotel as the sun set. She hadn't traveled that far from it, only went through different streets and in circles multiple times today. Everytime she came back onto a street she was on earlier, those same shopkeepers she saw earlier were selling  a new product.

Suddenly, Arenia was tackled into an alleyway between two buildings. She was thrown upwards and landed on the hard wooden roof of a building. A thump was behind her as her attacker jumped onto the building as well.

"How's the gem doing for you?" The masked voice asked, pacing around the wooden roof.

Arenia, slowing standing up, brushed herself off. "G-good,"

"No issues?" Agent X asked.

"Why do you care?" Arenia asked quickly. "Just leave me alone,"

"Now, I can give you that gem and I can also take it away," Agent X said. 

Arenia gulped and moved the gem around through her fingers in her pocket. As her stress levels increased, she continued moving the gem through her fingers at a faster rate.

"Now, I'm here to give you your last gift. Braunick's plans have increased the levels of evil in the land. Now, things that weren't possible before are now. See? Braunick is good."

"What has he created?" Arenia asked.

"Braunick has made it so that anyone who wants to can practice Black Magic." Agent X smirked under its mask.

Arenia gasped. "What?" She stumbled back slightly."Do you understand what Braunick has done?"

"Do you not appreciate his gifts?" Agent X asked, slowly drawing its sword. "If you don't, there is a return service. He did all of this for you, Arenia."

"Why?" Arenia asked. "Why does the bastard need me so badly?" She worrily tosses her orange gem from hand to hand in her pocket.

"You're strong, Arenia," Agent X said. "Even before you had double gems, you were strong. You were able to hold me off in his castle, and I have three gems, Arenia. Do you understand? We aren't evil. We want what's best for Renya, and the way we are doing things is the right path for our country. With Black Magic free to use, anything is possible. We can restore Renya to its former glory if you just join us," X held out his armored hand, black and torn cape blowing behind it.

Arenia hesitated. This was her chance. She could remove Agent X's gems and finally slay the beast if she pretended to join it. 

Arenia took Agent X's hand.

"I will join you," Arenia said.

"Good," Agent X said. "Good choice. You know of Braunick's plan already right?"

Arenia nodded. "Rebuild Renya to make it a strong and independent nation, blah blah blah. Rebuild by destroying."

"Basically. Now, what I need you to help us with is being a direct spy to the Destigems. We need to know everything about them so we can ambush them in Urania." Agent X said. 

"Why do you need to ambush them?" Arenia asked.

Agent X began to walk away towards the edge of the building and glanced back at Arenia. "You only know the base of Braunick's plan. His full plan is classified to only me and Vrängr,"

Bastard! He's alive too! Arenia thought to herself. 

"That ambush is what will start the end of this era. It'll begin Braunick's plan and Renya will be restored with their help," 

"How will they help?" Arenia asked, rubbing her fingers along the orange gem's edges.

"I am very convincing," Agent X stated. "I need you to return here tomorrow and give me all the information on Agent 34 and Marque as you can,"

Arenia gulped and nodded. Agent X nodded it's head then jumped down into an alleyway and disappeared into the night.

What have I done?