Chapter 9 | Frain's Family

Calvin grunted as he grabbed his bow off the floor with ease this time. It seemed he and the survivor were on the same side.

"I'm Frain," The man said, and pulled out a small golden dagger quickly. "and I can assure you there is nothing to be afraid of. I'm only trying to make it to my family who are in a nearby building. I've been trying to reach them for a few days now, and I'm nearly there."

Calvin was surprised to see that Frain picked up the couch and placed his dagger on a countertop. "You aren't worried about the evils?" He asked the survivor.

"Not much," Frain stated, crossing his feet and shutting his eyes. "Worst thing they'll do is kill me. Not that big of a deal, right?"

"Sorry bud," Calvin said. "but I need to get back to my squadrant."

"If they were outside when it started raining, they are evil by now," Frain said. "Don't go out there. You're the first person I've met that isn't dead or isn't evil. First one I haven't had to kill yet either. Don't make me have to do it,"

Calvin looked out the boarded up the window and saw around four or five armed people walking around. When they got close to each other, they'd growl or try to intimate the other. 

He shuddered at how the storm had turned them all insane that quickly. It hadn't even been ten minutes since the squad split up. Backing away from the window, Calvin began to walk back towards the center of the room. "So we are trapped here?"

"Until it's done raining," Frain said. "then we can go onwards and part ways. I'll miss having sane people to talk to, but hopefully I can reach my family and have them for company."

"How come you didn't even care that a bunch of soldiers were coming into the streets armed and dangerous?" Calvin asked.

"No one will care, bud," Frain said. "I don't need to care. I don't care who the soldiers belong to, the country has no ruler anymore so it's first come first serve for royalty. I could've had the throne by now if I truly wanted to, but I only want my family."

Calvin walked back to the boarded window and looked outside again. What was out there horrified him.

His commander was walking around in the rain with his long blade held in his arms. His face was blank and lifeless, replaced by an expression of tiredness and evil.

"Commander Zad!" Calvin called. "Over here!"

Frain jumped up from his green couch. "Shut up! You're gonna screw us over! The evils will come now and break down the boards and kill us!" He grabbed his golden dagger and shoved Calvin away from the window and glanced outside.

Commander Zad was running towards the door, a spark of fury in his eye. "Let me in, Calvin! I order you to let me in!" His voice was filled with crazy as he threw his blade against the door, chopping it down slowly.

"We're dead, kid!" Frain yelled, francitcally looking through the house for something to barricade the door better.

Zad's attack attracted more evils, which also began to bang on the barricades to get inside. Calvin loaded his bow and shot at the evils outside who tried to get in. They were zombie-like, but were also much more like humans, elves, and dwarves.

Frain walked out of the last bedroom empty handed. "We will have to face them with only your bow and my dagger," He stated worrily. "I am going to strangle you in hell once we die. This is your fault,"

A board on the window snapped in half and splinters flung at the pair inside. Limbs stuck through the opening, clawing at the wall and other boards all while trying to get inside.

Calvin shot at the arms, which pulled back out quickly only to be replaced by new ones. "We are doomed," Frain shouted the top of his lungs. He fell to his knees on the wooden floor, and pounded his fist against it. "Everything I've ever done in my life is lost, all of it a waste! Damn it! I'm not ready for death today, and I don't think you are either, whatever your name is."

"Calvin," Calvin said to him as he continued to shoot at the evils clawing at the windows and door. Another board snapped off the window, and some of the evils began to climb inside. "They're coming!"

Frain picked himself off the floor and wiped the sweat off his brow. He ran towards the first evil that entered and threw his dagger straight into its eye. The evil, which was a male human, howled in horror. The insanity in his eye twitched, only to be replaced by an eye of pain.

The evil whipped out a sword and threw it towards Frain. He quickly rolled to the side to dodge the attack, and stabbed the golden dagger into the man's arm. He screamed again as another evil entered the house. It ran towards Calvin, who slowly backed away and shot at it with his bow. 

When the attacker got close, who was a female human, she pulled out a small hammer. Calvin drew another small dagger, one he only used in case of emergencies. The evil's eyes glowed blue, with a small pinch of madness.

The attacker tried to throw the hammer into Calvin's armored shoulder, but the weapon only bounced off of it in a vibration of metal ringing. The soldier then stabbed the dagger into her leg, and she only winced in pain. Calvin threw a fist into her gut, causing her to fall forwards slightly. He grabbed her by the neck and slammed his knee into her face, then threw her unconscious body across the floor. 

"You've got some moves," Frain called as he fought off two new evils that had gotten in. "but you didn't kill them."

"No, I'm not going to. These are innocent people who were turned evil by the storm. Don't kill, the Zena will try to turn them back once we contain this storm." Calvin stated as he ran to Frain's aid.

The door to the house broke down, and more evils flooded inside. "Calvin! Get something to cover you!" Frain shouted. "We have to leave this house or we will die trying!"