Chapter 172

A/N Let's play Spot the Taylor Swift Reference!

Castiel doesn't wake up until past eleven o'clock the next morning, when an anxious Misha runs up to him and licks his face. Castiel grins quietly and rolls over, his face squished against the back of the couch. Undeterred, Misha sticks his nose in Castiel's hair instead.

"Wakey wakey," Dean laughs.

"I don't like you," Castiel mumbles.

"I didn't send him over here," Dean tells him. "I think he's hungry."

"Sucks to be him," Castiel deadpans.

"C'mon," Dean insists. "I made pancakes. Well, I made them a few hours ago because I got tired of waiting, but you can microwave 'em or whatever."

Castiel sighs and sits up, dangling his legs off the side of the couch. Misha sits down dutifully and stares up at him, his tail wagging excitedly.

"C'mon, let's go get you fed," Castiel mumbles, standing up to go find his dog's food. He stretches out his limbs, stiff from sleeping on such a tiny couch.

"Why'd you take the couch?" Dean asks

"Didn't wanna wake you up," Castiel replies with a shrug.

"I wouldn't have cared," Dean insists.

"Patriots fans would have cared if you were too tired to play," Castiel reminds him. It's game day, and Castiel knows that if Dean doesn't do just as well as he has for the last year, the blame will be on Castiel and his visit.

"Ah, true," Dean allows. "But I don't really care what they think, anyway, 'slong as you're here."

"You're so cheesy," Castiel laughs.

"Only with you, Cas. Only with you."

~~

Watching the football game is both stressful and confusing. He doesn't quite understand the game, so he doesn't cheer when anyone else does, instead just watching the game silently. The stressful part comes in whenever Dean would tackle someone or be tackled himself, because it looks far too painful to be considered a game. Fortunately, Dean gets up every time.

Castiel can see why people like him — as a player, of course; no one really likes him as a person. He's good. Even Castiel, who doesn't know much about football, can tell that. There's no hesitation in his movements, and his confidence on the field is admirable, to say the least. Watching him, the fact that the Patriots beat the Eagles, as they will do IRL today in the 2018 Super Bowl, doesn't come as a surprise.

Then again, Dean might just seem like such a good player because Castiel loves everything about him, so maybe he's a bit biased. He'll never know.

Castiel spends a while talking to fans once the game is over, though, as always, these "fans" are probably just people who recognized him, followed by people who realized there was someone with some amount of fame over here.

He does find one boy wearing one of his t-shirts, and Castiel gives him far more attention than he does to anybody else. As he walked away, he made a comment to his friend about how he knew today would be a good time to represent his fandom. Apparently, the shirt wasn't as spontaneous as it seemed, but at least the kid is actually a fan.

Castiel can't help but wonder how these people think he feels. They probably aren't even thinking about his feelings at all, because people rarely do these days, but if any of them are, do they think he's enjoying this? Are they even aware of the fact that he just came here to watch his boyfriend throw a ball around, and has no real interest in taking pictures with them? He's not in a rush, but he'd rather be online than talking to people who probably don't actually care about him.