Chapter 65

A/N Okay, so maybe the thing with Chuck was predictable, but I bet you didn't see this coming, right? RIGHT?!

~One week later ~

Castiel crumples up his notebook page and tosses is across the room in exasperation as he prepares to start fresh again. He scans the backs of his albums, trying to find the perfect song to open his Sioux Falls concert with. He already has parts of his other tour stops' track list planned, but Sioux Falls is the special one, and he's determined to show that. He had attempted to make a list with same song opening it as his other concerts, but he came to a standstill not long after he started.

The sound of his stomach growling again distracts him, so he glances over at the clock. Three in the afternoon. Other than the grapes he was munching on at about four that morning as he worked, he hasn't eaten since lunch the previous day. Part of him wants to keep working, determined to get it right eventually, but another part of him knows that food is an important part of life, and maybe taking a break from staring at these words may help.

He checks the freezer to see that not only is he out of chicken nuggets — his go-to food because it's quick, easy, and delicious — but he's also out of every single quick thing that could make a meal. He sighs and grabs the hot dogs. Looks like he's stuck with a mini cook out.

He cooks two hot dogs on the grill, which I don't really see why I have to go into detail about that because no one really cares. He carries a plate with his two hot dogs — both already in the rolls because that's how he makes hot dogs  — back into the house, leaving the doors open so he can go grab the rest of his stuff after he eats.

He's not going to lie; it's a pretty good pair of hot dogs. He wolfs down the first one, because hot dogs have way too many calories for him to eat a lot of, so this is a rare occurrence that has him overly excited.

He's about to eat the second one when he hears a loud crash downstairs in the basement. Dammit! He should have closed the doors, shouldn't he have? It probably sounds stupid not to, but come on. It's New York. No one breaks into a house in a crowded city like New York in the middle of the day. Except apparently they do.

Castiel does the first thing he can think of. He sprints to the bathroom down the hall and locks the door. He pulls out his cell phone from his back pocket, but his finger pauses above the screen. Who does he call? 911? They specialize in crimes...

But he calls Lucifer instead, because Lucifer specializes in calming him down.

"Come on, come on!" he mutters, pacing back and forth in the confines of his small bathroom as the phone rings.

Finally, he hears Lucifer's cheerful voice. "Heyo, Cassie!"

"Luce, you gotta help me," he whispers.

"Castiel? What's wrong?" he asks, picking up on the sense of urgency in his brother's voice.

"I think there's someone in my house."

"Then why the hell are you calling me?" Lucifer asks. "Call the cops, dammit!"

"But the cops make me nervous and you calm me down," Castiel explains.

Lucifer sighs. "Fine. I'll be Mr. Calmer-Downer. Talk to me. Why do you think there's someone in your house?"

"I heard a crash in the basement."

"And is there any way someone could have gotten into your basement?"

"Through the open door?" Castiel says awkwardly.

Lucifer sighs, and Castiel can practically sense him facepalm. "Great. Nicely done. Okay, um... Do you hear anything anymore? Maybe they just raided the basement and left."