Chapter 22

A/N You know what's freaky is that Winchester_At_Heart wrote something just like this as I was writing this one, so if you want the Bee Movie version, go check it out.

There are three types of people in the Novak household. There's Lucifer and Gabriel, who together eat over half the cake, each with one of those big soda bottles for parties; there's Anna, who practically chugs an entire water bottle before even starting her half piece of cake; and then there's the normal people who eat, like, two or three pieces.

"This is delicious," Claire says when she finished her second piece, reaching for a third. How does she manage to stay in shape eating like that?

"I can't take credit," Castiel tells her. "I bought it. You never want to bake when Lucifer is around."

"Why?"

"There won't be enough batter for the actual cake," Samandriel replies.

"It's not my fault that I'm impatient!" Lucifer whines.

"Yeah, it kinda is," Michael replies.

"Well, yeah, but whatever."

They finish eating the entire cake and all the ice cream because there are a lot of people there. Before anyone gets up after eating, Castiel grabs the bag from the counter and hands it to Claire. She takes it, a confused expression on her face.

"It's not a birthday without a gift," Castiel tells her with a shrug.

"Thanks..." She pulls the gift out of the bag. "Grumpy cat?"

Castiel shrugs. "Yeah. I got it at the Hot Topical."

"Hot Topic," Gabriel whispers loudly.

"What?"

"It's Hot Topic," he repeats. "Not Hot Topical. Just Hot Topic."

"Wait, really?" He looks around the room to see everyone agreeing. "Oh. I thought... It's really Hot Topic? Are you sure?"

Claire laugh at his cluelessness. "Yes, Castiel. It's Hot Topic." She puts the Grumpy Cat down on the table and looks up at Castiel, who stands next to her. "Thanks, Castiel. For everything. I really appreciate it."

And it's clear that she means it. Before Castiel came along, she had nowhere to go, no one to go to. And once she leaves, she'll be alone again.

~~

"Hey, Castiel." Chuck gestures for his son to follow him, so they can talk alone. "Are you really going to kick Claire out on the streets again?"

"I think I have to," Castiel replies. "I mean, if nothing else, Anna apparently hates her."

"Anna will live."

"What do you mean?" Castiel asks, not wanting to jump to conclusions just yet.

"I'd feel horrible, kicking her to the curb like that. If you guys are okay with it, I say you ask if she wants to stay around a little longer, at least until she gets back on her feet."

Castiel can't help but grin. That's exactly what he was hoping for, though he wouldn't have asked himself because he's only here for another week, and inviting a semi permanent guest to stay after he leaves would just be rude. Now, he doesn't have to worry about that. But...

"There's no way Anna will agree to that," Castiel tells his father. "She refuses to even look at Claire."

"Then ask Michael and Samandriel," Chuck replies. "If they say yes, then ask her to stay."

"What about Lucifer?" Castiel asks, noticing the one person he left out that still lives here.

"He's Lucifer. He won't care."

Castiel chuckles. "Yeah, true. Alright, I'll go ask around."

~~

"Michael, Dad wants to make sure it's okay with you if Claire stays here."

"Fine by me."

"Awesome."

~~

"Samandriel, Dad wants to make sure it's okay with you if Claire stays here."

"Sure. She's cool. I say she stays."

"Awesome."

~~

"Lucifer, I'm asking Claire to stay."

"Do I have a choice?"

"Does it matter? You'd say yes."

"Touché."

~~

"Hey, Anna." Castiel pulls her into the hallway.

"Are you finally kicking Claire out?" she asks impatiently. "Because it's about damn time."

"Actually, I'm asking her if she wants to stay her for a while," Castiel tells her. "Dad's idea. He pretty much said your opinion is irrelevant because everyone else agreed, but I figured I'd give you a heads up."

"What? That's not fair! You're the one that had to be freaking Mother Teresa. How come I'm stuck with her now?"

"It could be worse," Castiel replies. "You could be her."

"How is that worse?" Anna asks. "She gets to live with Castiel Novak, pop sensation." She rolls her eyes at the last part.

Castiel cringes inwardly at being called a pop star. "She just got kicked out of her house on her birthday," he reminds his sister.

"And you know what? I don't blame her parents," Anna snaps. "Whatever she did, I'm sure she deserved it."

"She got kicked out for not believing in God," Castiel tells her.

"Well, that explains a lot," Anna mutters.

"What?"

"That girl needs Jesus."

Castiel isn't sure whether to laugh or roll his eyes. "You don't even believe in Jesus," he reminds her.

"That's not the damn point," she snaps. "You don't know her like I do. Maybe she was okay today, but once she knows she has a secure spot here, she won't have to be nice."

"When was the last time you had a conversation with her?" Castiel inquires.

"What?"

"Just a conversation. When was the last time you two really spoke to each other?"

"That doesn't matter," she snaps.

"Exactly," he replies, taking her non answer for either "never" or "not for a long time." "You really don't know her. And who knows? Maybe you'll end up being friends."

She scoffs. "Yeah, right. We will never be friends. My standards are at least a little higher than that."

"Then this is gonna be a rough year and a half until college," Castiel replies before walking away to find Claire.