It gave a masculine yet soft vibe which confused me because it was drawing me in. I tell myself the only reason why I'm taking notice is because I just broke up with Luca and was looking at anything that'll take my mind off of him. Or anyone that'll take my mind off of him.

Our break was inevitable ever since the accident. It took me a year to build up the courage to do it and now that I did do it, I was a little lost.

"Get it?" Archer asked, snapping me out of my thoughts. I had no how long he was speaking for but we're on a different page of the book.

I shook my head, eyelids fluttering as I blinked rapidly. "Yea, totally." I looked at him only to notice him shaking his head.

"I know when a student lies to me." He chuckled. "Don't worry though, you'll get this soon." He closed the book.

"It's important that you do." His hazel eyes trailed up from the book to meet mine.

My breath hitched as I looked at my professor in silence. 

This is bad, very bad. Being attracted to your professor isn't a complication you need right now. 

In the second that we stared into each other's eyes, his phone beeped and it sounded like an alarm. Archer got up as he made his way behind his desk. 

"Try to catch up in this class." He gave me a warm smile before writing something on the board.

A swarm of students flooded into the room the next moment, filling the empty spaces and for some reason, I was finally able to breathe again.

"So class, can any of you name me one of the 13 instances where Ark was portrayed as a different version of himself," Archer asked as he looked around the auditorium.

I felt my hand spring up before I could come to a conclusive decision.

"Yes, Elreda," Archer nods towards my direction.

"Um—" I brought my hand down as I looked around the room, everyone's eyes on me, except Chadwick. He just looked bored.

"When Ark built the cabin for his lover even before he met her," I said, shocking myself and Archer. I can tell he's shocked by the way his eyes widened a little and his lips parted.

I didn't know I had known the answer. Maybe I wasn't zoning out after all.

"Excellent." Archer pointed the chalk at me right before jotting it down on the board.

"Now, we know that Ark had started his own home builders company but he stopped working after that cabin. His priority was getting it done so that he could focus on the two things he really loved, his lover and his writing. We find out that he's an author—" He carried on with the lesson and I caught myself studying his littlest movements.

The way he would adjust his glasses every time he paused or the way he would lick the corner of his lips when waiting for an answer.

I was very aware of everything he was doing. Everything my professor was doing.

"Get your shit together, he's your teacher." I chastised myself mentally before focusing my attention on the book.

• • •

"Seriously?" Lina asked from the couch.

"I'm not kidding, our neighbour's my professor," I said, setting my keys on the coffee table as I settled down. Lina pauses for a second, looking at me with confusion.

"No, our neighbour's my professor." She emphasised as she looked at me, eyes narrowing.

"What? Mr Kane teaches Literature." I said and she frowned in response.

"Mr Kane? I was talking about Mr Parker." She shook her head slightly as she stared at me.

"Wait— so you're telling me that our neighbours are our professors?" An incredulous look painted on my face as Lina burst out laughing.

"This year's going to be hella fun."

...

A/N: slut shaming is NOT TOLERATED. any derogatory comments will be deleted and I will mute the commenter.