"And I broke up." I interrupted her again, too drained to hear anything else from her. "That's why I was late. He got into one of his moods and—" I stopped myself from saying anything else. She'd only use it as bait to demonise him further. God knows he hasn't made it hard.

"Oh," her arms fall to her side. I could tell from the confusion etched in her features that this was the last thing she expected from me. It takes a second before concern swarms her brown eyes and then she opens her mouth to say something.

"Forget it," I sighed, being exhausted with talking about it. I just wanted today to be over. "It's our first day in a few hours. We should get some sleep." I said as I gestured towards her room. I wanted to drop this topic and she caught on. 

This was definitely not how I envisioned starting freshman year of university. After our gap year, I assumed things would've gotten better. Moving away from home and having a new start was what I assumed would be enough for us to move on from the accident. But if there was one thing I got from Luca Castillo tonight, it was that sometimes time and distance doesn't heal. Sometimes that past alters you and leaves you irrevocably changed.

Lina simply nodded after closing our door. The silence around us was heavy with unspoken words. This was rare for Lina and I. We practically grew up together so having a moment where we were at a loss for words was weird. 

"Oh, by the way, our new neighbours just moved in. They're kinda cute." She peeped from her room. "Looks like finding a rebound shouldn't be that hard." She added with a sheepish smile. I guess this was her way of getting rid of the tension, but boy was it the wrong time. 

"Lina." I deadpanned as my mouth slacked with exasperation. I couldn't believe this girl. Plus, rebounds were her thing. Mine... I had no idea what my thing was.

Luca was my first serious boyfriend and I didn't know how I was supposed to react to this. I had no time to figure it out too. I didn't need getting distracted from school.

She raised her hands in surrender, "okay, I'm sorry. Goodnight." She said as she waddled back into her room.

With a groan, I made my way to the washroom and got myself ready for bed. I blew dry my hair that I had just washed, not having the energy to comb through it yet. As soon as it's partially dry, I switch off the hairdryer and rushed out, allowing my body to drop against the mattress. I got underneath the covers, getting ready for the night to consume me. As I feel myself drifting off to sleep, I remember my umbrella that I had left outside the apartment.

"Really?" I whined to myself, my mind and body weary and in need of rest. I threw my feet over the bed, the heels landing on the cold ground, dragging my soles against the wooden floor as I made my way to the door.

I swung it open and was stunned by two men who were standing right outside. Before I could get a good look at the first guy, he walks into the apartment with a box in his hands. The second guy senses my presence and pauses, turning to look at me. 

I was a few inches shorter than him so he had to crane his neck downwards to look me in the eyes. With that motion, an avalanche of damp brown hair crashed over his forehead, ending right about his eyes. My eyes meet his and the little specks of green that flickered along the chocolate brown of his eyes catch my attention. I was allured but only for a moment as the silence around us gets louder since none of are saying a word to each other.

He gave a weak smile before stepping into the apartment across mine, breaking the little staring contest we had. 

So they're the new neighbours.

I acknowledged him with a nod as I picked up my umbrella. As I bent over I noticed a red umbrella hanging from his right hand. Instantly recognising it, I roll my eyes. The Asshole.

"I assume you can speak?" I blurted right before he could close the door behind him.

He turned around with, eyes round with confusion as he stared at me. "Sorry?" He let out, his voice uncertain and low.

I flashed my phone to him and his expression doesn't falter as he tries to understand the situation. "You broke the screen." I leaned against the door frame. "When you bumped into me out there." I continued and his face finally lit up with realisation.

"The least you could've done was apologise." I said and a chuckle leaves his lips which mildly annoyed me.

Which part of this was funny? I tell myself to calm down, that I'm not thinking straight because of today but his reaction still irked me.

"I'm sorry." He finally apologises as his cheeks flush red. "I'll pay for it." His greenish brown eyes meet mine. He seemed genuine and that's when I notice that he's embarrassed and I manage to calm myself. I had a bad day, it didn't mean I had to take it out on him.

"Forget it." I shook my head as I attempted to enter my apartment. I just wanted to be done with today.

"Wait—" His voice chimed from behind me, getting me to stop. "I'm Archer Kane." He stretched out his arm, waiting for me to shake it. "The guy in there's Jace Parker. We just moved in." He motioned his head towards his apartment, as though I wouldn't be able to tell which one he moved into.

I suck in a breath, stopping myself from being a bitch. Sure he wanted to be friendly now and not when he had crashed into me on the street but that's fine. Being a little neighbourly couldn't hurt. 

"Elreda," I reached out as I wrapped my fingers around his hand. His skin was warm, fingers slender as they wrapped around my hand, whole. My palm almost vanished into his.

There's an awkward lull in our introduction and he doesn't let go of my hand, as though waiting for more. "Elreda Adair but everyone calls me Red." I tell him even though it wasn't exactly true.

Only people close to me called me Red but I didn't need him recognising my name. The chances of him, or anyone, recognising my name here was slim which was why I moved here but that didn't stop me from being paranoid. 

"Welcome to the neighbourhood, I guess."

...
A/N: Tysm for reading the first chapter! I hope you'll stick around

[edit] I'm editing this book!! so there'll be many changes which also means there'll be missing comment threads :( it was so satisfying seeing almost every line of the book have a comment but it's gonna poof now, sigh. So if you're reading this, hi, feel free to spam me with comments (that's appropriate to the situation please <3) hehe okay bye. love u. thanks for reading. 

also I just wanna say thank you for choosing to read my book. I remember when I had hit 100 reads and I got so frickin excited and now we've reached so many milestones together. thank you for supporting me, really. i appreciate you.