Chapter 14: The Greats

Start from the beginning

Kaval's breath blew onto his lips which made Ari lick his lips and turn away. 

"Did you not say there was little to any left?"

"Left awake." Ari felt Kaval's gaze on him, lingering. "I am sure you met one already. We may be shapeshifters, but the one thing we cannot truly hide is the gray of our eyes. No matter how much we try to conceal them, little specks of gray in our irises can give us away."

 "Sai," Ari breathed. 

"Sai." Kaval smiled wildly. "So he is awake." 

"But he wanted nothing to do with any of this. And he shared a past with Auovin. How can he be a--"

"As I said before, Ari, we had mixed and mingled once upon a time. Sharing a past with Oliya hardly says much at all. I am sure many others could attest to that as well."

Ari bristled, but Kaval quickly kissed his cheek causing Ari to redden. 

"You are quite easy to anger when it comes to that demon. I find it cute." 

Ari rubbed his cheek and frowned. "Why will you not call him by his true name?"

"He has not given me his name just as I have not given him mine."

"And what happens if you say it without them giving you it?"

"To humans, it would enslave them. To us, it would empower the other. Names have meaning and strength, but also weakness and bondage." Kaval touched his neck and carried on. 

Snow fell from the sky in a steady rhythm. The chill of the air seeped into Ari's flesh. He hugged himself tight and looked back at Kaval. Besides the wound he covered protectively with his hand, he seemed fine and unphased by the weather. 

"They may come from the sands, but we come from the snow; where the land is cold and unforgiving. You will grow used to it soon enough." 

Soon the snow picked up. Ari could barely see through it, it became so thick. He had to rely on Kaval to lead the way and, even then, he held on to a piece of him to make sure he did not get lost. Kaval trudged through the snow mounting by the second, undisturbed. As if he had it a thousand times. Although Kaval was in a weakened state, Ari could tell even he was stronger than him. 

Kaval grabbed Ari's wrist and tugged him forward. 

"This way." 

Ari followed obediently. They entered an enclosure near the mountain which Ari was grateful for. His clothes were soaked and he was cold. Not being able to see, only made it worse. Ari looked around in the darkness. Icicles hung from the ceilings and ice covered to walls and a bit of the ground floor they were on. Over in a corner, he saw steam coming from a pool of water and a stairwell that lead up somewhere. His eyes flicked back to Kaval who laid slumped against the cave wall, exhausted. There was a twinkle in eyes, however. As if he had the sweet taste of victory on his tongue. 

When he touched a part of the wall, the cave shook and rumbled. Ari held onto the wall and closed his eyes. Something slammed shut behind him causing him to jump and back away from the entrance.  It was much like the dark place only colder and not filled with vines but with ice instead.

"We are safe... for now." Kaval's voice echoed through the emptiness, catching Ari's attention.

Ari nodded, but he still did not feel much comfort from his words. He needed to treat Kaval's wound, but he did not know how. Ari thought to give him his blood once before, but Ari was wary of the idea the more Ari was coming to know more about the Greats and Kaval himself. Despite his hesitation, Ari walked closer to Kaval. He removed Kaval's hand from where the rod went through. It was already healing which should not have surprised Ari, but it did.