Chapter 27 - Rosie

Edited

We stayed there for a while. I let Alice have a turn holding the Scarlett. All in all, we stayed in the room for about an hour.

It was now about 8 PM. Visit hour was until 9 pm. Alice left because she had a trip early in the morning and had a few things she had to do. She felt bad about leaving and said she would be by as soon as she could.

The doctor told me that I could see Rosie. I was thrilled and scared at the same time.

I walked into her room and see her. She hooked up to a breathing machine, some medicine was going into her blood, there were wires connected to her head, more things I didn't know the name of.

I grab a chair a pull into her bed. I grab her hand. I know she can't hear me but I talk to her anyway.

"Hi Rosie" I began "I know you probably can't hear me but-" I paused "The baby is here. I'm going to have to sign the birth certificate. I'll put you as the mother. The baby's name is Scarlett. The name you wants. She's as beautiful as you." I pause again. "You need to wake up and meet her"

I squeeze her hand a kiss the top of it and continue "I had a plan for when we were going to get to the store. I was going to propose" I get out the little box and look at it.I give a light chuckle. "I had a plan. I would ask you to marry me right in the pickle aisle. Then I would buy you all the pickles." I paused. "I asked your mom if I could marry you, she gave me your grandmother's ring and said 'Go get her'. Those exact words."I chuckle lightly again and pause "I still want you to marry me. Someday." I open the small box and take the ring out and put it on her hand.

"You weren't supposed to end up here." My voice was wavy. "Please. Come back. I knew wherever you are, it's probably nice. You get to see you dad, everyone you lost, but I need you here. Scarlett needs a mother. Not just any mother, you as a mother."

I hear a sudden beep and look up. The brain monitor showed some brain activity. I slightly panicked and called in a nurse. A couple nurses and the doctor came in.

"There was a brain thing happened"

The nurses checking the history of the brain monitor, while the doctor checked everything else. One of the nurses whispered in the doctor's ear.

"Mr.Reed. I believe what you way was just your imagination. There's no history of brain activity"