Chapter Twenty-Two:

Listen to ONE DIRECTION's song called Moments while reading this chapter. You can play it in the upper part by swiping the picture. And please get some tissues because this chapter is really heartbreaking.

====================================

If you asked Sana she would tell you that what she had been doing for the past three hours wasn’t breathing. She felt like she had been held underwater ever since they took Caleb into the O.R. Sana had been pacing around the waiting room, back and forth between Caleb’s parents, Seulgi and Suki; nobody had spoken more than a few words to each other. It seemed as if they were all avoiding each other, they were all battling their own nerves.

Time had seemed to be going excruciatingly slow, that was until time seemed to pause when Dr. Minatozaki came walking down that same hallway that Caleb had been taken down.

Sana felt the knot in her throat widen as soon as she saw her dad. Something didn’t feel right. Not with the way her dad seemed to be walking almost defeated with his head down.

Everyone stood from their seats as soon as Dr. Minatozaki approached them.

“What’s wrong?” Sana asked not being able to contain her worries.

“Sana” Dr. Minatozaki cleared his throat. “Let me speak with Caleb’s parents first"

"No, Dad. He’s my boyfriend. I have a right to know at the same time. What’s going on?"

"It’s okay” Catherine, Caleb’s mom spoke.

“Just please, how did the surgery go?” Jared, Caleb’s father pressed his hands against his wife’s shoulder as support.

“I’m afraid…..” Dr. Minatozaki paused. The surgery had left him not only physically but also mentally exhausted. He had extorted every single part of his being and even success still hadn’t come. “We knew this could happen after the accident because of the same extensive that the accident caused to Caleb’s heart, in addition to the defect that Caleb already had and even after corroborating with other colleagues of mine, we all saw that Caleb’s heart had time. Years. And today, today, in surgery we did everything we possibly could. Believe me when I say we fought as much as we could for Caleb but it wasn’t enough. I am so sorry but......Caleb didn’t make it"

"Oh god” Catherine spoke and Caleb’s father quickly grabbed his wife so that she wouldn’t fall. Seulgi walked back to the chair that she was sitting on with tears in her eyes, seemingly also in shock.

It was like all oxygen was sucked out of the lobby. No one spoke, no one moved after Dr. Minatozaki’s last words. Everyone stood frozen in place.

Then it all began to rush through Sana. It was like all the emotions she had ever felt had made an appointment right at that moment to flow through her at the same time. She didn’t know what to do with them. She wanted all of these emotions out of her. With her dad right in front of her, she knew that he wasn’t at fault but in that moment he blamed him. Sana blamed him for Caleb’s death.

Sana froze for seconds that seemed like minutes. Staring blankly at her dad and Dr. Minatozaki looked at her wanting to hug her but he was waiting for her reaction, he wasn’t sure what it would be but he had a pretty good idea.

“No” Sana almost whispered. “What did you do?” She said looking at her dad.

“I’m sorry Sana. I’m really sorry” Dr. Minatozaki told her apologetically.

“No, no, no” Sana closed her fists and pushed them against Dr. Minatozaki. She used her fists against her dad with strength. He kept his stance in order to prevent Sana from pushing him over.