Chapter Fifteen:

SEULGI'S POV

It was almost as if I had been dragged into an ocean without warning. I had to fight to get a breath in. But once I got that breath in I was instantly pulled back under swallowing the water making me choke. Everything and everyone was moving so fast. Nobody was slowing down. I kept trying to catch up but it was one thing after another.

It all started when the ambulance arrived. Irene was crying and she was being restrained by one of the paramedics. I took her from the paramedic as soon as they were off the ambulance and rushed in with her after the paramedics pushing the gurney into the E.R. As soon as the doctors and nurses came into sight they began to work to bring Caleb from unconsciousness.

I tried keeping my focus on them but Irene… she was beyond hysterical. I don’t think I’d ever seen her like this. The paramedics told me that they didn’t want to sedate her because her reaction was quite understandable. They found her on the floor with Caleb while he passed out. I held my grip on her while the doctors continued working.

The next few minutes…those…those were probably the hardest.

I realized I was holding my breath when Caleb opened his eyes because when he did I finally felt a gush of oxygen travel through my lungs. But only to go back to holding it when I heard the dreadful flat line sound that the machine keeping the vitals made. I looked at the monitor waiting for a something to appear letting us know that it was computer error. But nothing happened.
I did not want to admit that my brother had just gone into cardiac arrest. Seeing someone go into cardiac arrest was nothing new during the practicals. I’d seen it many times here in the E.R. and it was heartbreaking. But it was a new kind of heartbreak knowing it was someone I loved on the bed. It was my brother.

It couldn’t be. I tried and tried for denial. I was waiting to be woken up. All of this had to be a bad dream, a nightmare I would soon be waking up from. It was a screaming Irene that kept me from achieving a full state of denial.  My arms tightened around her holding her back from the herd of doctors and nurses around my brother. 

“No! No! No! You can’t get out of this so easily! You stupid jerk! What are you doing!” Irene yelled. “You can’t do this to me! You can’t!” Irene was distraught to the max. And I agreed with her. Caleb couldn’t do this to Irene or me or mom and dad or even Sana. He just couldn’t.

Dr. Minatozaki ran into the room I had been told he was in surgery. I’m assuming he was now done, as he was still in his surgical scrubs. He stopped to look at Irene and I and gave me a sympathetic before rushing to Caleb. The space closed of by curtains was a confusing mixture of sound between the series of yells from the doctors calling out for medication in between the CPR and Irene yelling.

“You can’t give up you asshole! I forgive you but please come back! You’re such an asshole! You can’t do this to me! I love you! You’re mine! Fight! Please! Please, Caleb! Please!” Those around us didn’t need an x-ray to know that Irene’s heart was breaking.

I wasn’t even sure why I was holding Irene's back because I felt like we needed to exert all possibilities and maybe she could be the one to bring Caleb back. Especially when I heard Dr. Minatozaki ask to bring in the cart ready and charged.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know that the doctors were burning through the short list of options they had to bring my brother back. I was praying. Probably more than a thousand sinners together when I heard Dr. Minatozaki yell clear! Like in a theatrical ensemble every one lifted their arms at the same time as Dr. Minatozaki reached over to place the paddles against his chest.