Chapter One:

CALEB'S POV

I know I’m not one to complain because life right now is probably as close to perfect as it could ever get. I’m in my senior year of high school and I am almost sure that most of the school population knows my name, from my peers to the teachers and the administration. I honestly have no idea how I’ve gotten here. It’s been a long way since that shy freshmen I used to be. I’m thinking that it probably started when I began to join as many organizations as I possibly could and actually socialized with people. And the fact that I started a band has definitely helped maintain that status. I don’t like to toot my own horn but my band is more than decent. I’ve been playing guitar since I was ten, music just seems to come naturally.

Life is actually pretty great. Unlike many teenagers I get along just fine with my parents. They’re incredibly supportive of everything I do, don’t tell them I said this because it will go to their heads but they’re actually kind of cool. I have an older sister, she tends to be annoying from time to time but she’s also kind of great. I love her even when she’s being a nuisance. Not to mention my girlfriend. I’ve known her for almost two years and even though we only officially started dating four months ago, people always seemed to think that we were together. It will probably sound cliché to say that I am head over heels for her, but I really am. Ever since I first laid eyes on her. I never thought I would look at anyone they way I look at her. Or even have someone look at me the way she does. The way her eyes shines make me melt every time they’re on me. I know I’m probably the luckiest guy in the world. I’m definitely the envy of anyone who’s ever laid eyes on her. Somewhere deep inside I know that she could be the one. 

I just sometimes need a break from it all. School, my band, responsibilities, they can all seem overwhelming from time to time. As crazy as it might sound sometimes it even feels like something is missing. I’ve found a small detour that I can take every now and then. It’s this bar just outside of town. I know what you’re thinking I probably come here to get wasted but I actually come here because they let me play a few songs on their stage. And what can I say I also enjoy the atmosphere. It’s a Sunday night, so it’s a rather calm night all around the bar. I just played a set and I’m due for another in about 15 minutes.

“Remember one is to help clear your throat and the other one is to help open up your throat.” Liam said with a wink.

He’s the bartender whom I’ve actually become friends with. He handed me a shot of patron and a bottle of water. Sure I’ll have a shot sometimes but I promise it never gets too wild. “Oh and if anybody asks I gave you apple juice in that shot glass because you’re hypoglycemic.”

“You are the best Li” I said as I downed the shot.

I suddenly felt the breeze from the door opening, I wondered who it was entering. I am honest to god I tried to avoid staring but I couldn’t stop looking at the stunning girl that just walked in. I’m pretty sure its quite impossible to get drunk off one shot of patron but the way her hair seems to be flowing, the skinny jeans, the white tee and that jacket. Holy shit, who is she? I turned back on my stool back to the bar and I gently slapped myself. I tried to snap myself out of it. I mean what am I thinking. I have a girlfriend; hormones please calm down. The girl approached the bar a couple seats away from mine and signaled for Liam.

“So, what’s the house specialty here?” That husky voice that she emitted send shivers all over my body.

“New in town?” Liam asked.

“That’s the word on the street. How about something to take the edge off a very long week?” She replied with a smile and sat down.

I decided to stop being creepy and turn my stool in her direction and shoot her a smile. She gave one back and finally took off her aviators. I felt like I was becoming paralyzed from looking at her eyes. I think she knows that I’m staring but she doesn’t seem to mind it.