6x03 - Friendly Competition

Is it even possible to cry underwater? I don't bother trying to swim back up. It's hopeless. Even if I tried, I'll just keep sinking. It doesn't even feel like I'm drowning. Just slowly falling. I hit the bottom of the pond, and everything goes black.

—————

Jonah's POV:
"So, Cyrus." I tell my boyfriend. "The Frisbee team is having their first game this Saturday. I would love it if you came to support us."

He nods his head. "Of course. Anything for you." We rub our noses together. A couple of older students start pointing and teasing. We try our best to just ignore it.

Cyrus looks very uneasy. "Jonah, should we not do stuff like that anymore?"

I put my arm around Cyrus. "Those guys are just being rude. If we want to stop doing stuff like this, it'll be our choice. Not because some homophobic douchebag made us stop."

"I guess you're right."

The bell rang, signaling that lunch was now over. I quickly kissed Cyrus on the cheek. "I'll see you after school?"

"Can't. I have a meeting for Play Production. But I'm free after that."

"Cool. When and where should we meet, then?"

"You can wait for me outside the theater. We end at around 3:15."

"Okay. See you then."

—————

Buffy's POV:
Ah, Gym class. My favorite. All these poor, unfortunate souls, about to get slayed by the one and only Buffy.

Our gym teacher entered the room. "Alright students. I'm Mr. Shimada. I am your gym teacher. Today, we're going to do a friendly game of dodgeball. I will split you two up into two teams."

A few minutes later, and the two teams were facing each other on the court. That's when I saw him, standing with the other team. The only person who stood a chance against me. Marty.

Mr. Shimada shouted, "Ready, Set, GO!"

Without hesitation, I rushed towards the middle, grabbing a dodgeball. I threw it into the group, and took out three people at once.

No one even tried to go up against me. But it didn't matter. I hit everyone, even the tiny ones in the back. I hollered in victory, "Who's the champ? Buffy's the champ!"

That's when the ball flew right towards me. I swiftly dodged it, and saw Marty. Standing there confidently, with that smug look on his face. "Not yet, Buffy. You gotta take me down first."

It was just me and Marty. I wiped the sweat from my forehead, took hold of a dodgeball, and beamed it right at him. Unfortunately, Marty pulled off some Matrix maneuver, and instead, it hit Mr. Shimada. In... that area.

Earlier, he stood boldly, but now, he was feebly lying on the floor, whining. "Oh, god! I need healing!"

———

The school nurse, Ms. Ziegler, came in and said, "So, who was it that hit him with the dodgeball?"

I nervously rose my hand. She put her hand on my shoulder. "Don't feel bad." She gave our teacher the stink eye. "This wimp always needs medical assistance."

We all got a laugh out of that. "Mr. Shimada should be fine by tomorrow. For now, just hang out here until class is over."

She walked away, and Marty started playfully teasing me. "Can't believe you hurt your own teacher."

I started talking back. "Well, if you just took the hit like a man, he wouldn't have gotten hurt in the first place."

"It was either I lose, or he does. And since I was against you, the choice was simple."

RIIING!

"There's the bell." I said. "Wanna keep talking?"

"I'd love to."

—————

Jonah's POV:
I waited outside the theater room. Cyrus's meeting should be finishing up soon. Finally, the doors opened.

I was about to call out for Cyrus, when I saw him talking with a boy. I recognize him. He's that same boy he was talking to back in New York.

They both waved goodbye to each other. It seemed a bit rude at the moment, but instead of saying hi, I asked Cyrus, "So, who's your new friend?"

Cyrus looked back. "That's Tyson. He's in Drama club."

"I thought you were in Play Prod."

"I am, but since Drama and Production are going to be working together, the theatre department decided to have both clubs meet up. I'm going to be working with Tyson a lot this year."

I faked a smile. "That's pretty cool. So, out of curiosity, how often are you seeing each other?"

"Uhh, we have Science together, and the theatre meets up a hour each Wednesday. So, I guess, about 5-6 times a week. Why? Is something wrong?"

"No. It's just, something feels off about that Tyson guy."

"You sure? He seems like a great guy to me."

I quickly changed the subject. "Want to go to the Spoon?"

"Yeah, sure. I haven't had baby taters in a long time."

I looked back at Tyson, and frowned. Those two probably just met, and Cyrus is already saying nice things about him. I don't like it. Not one bit.