Chapter Thirteen:

Start from the beginning

“Please don’t break up with me"

"What? I’m not breaking up with you” Well I’m not sure about that but I sit down next to her on the bed.

“I need you to tell me the truth. About that guy and about what the hell happened today” I could see her gulp. "Was this your first time using drugs?"

"No” she said so quietly that I could barely hear her.

“Have you been using all this time?" 

"Do you love me?” Sana questions me, catching me off guard.

“I…I honestly don’t know”

“You don’t know?” Sana says and she looks like she’s about to hurl.

“I have no idea who you are Sana. We’ve been dating for four months and right now I feel as clueless as I felt when we started. And it’s a place I’m not sure I want to be in”

"So you lied about loving me?” Her eyes turn a dull color.

“No…never…but I’m not sure you and the girl I loved…love are the same person. I open your door to find this guy, whoever he is and he says he’s your boyfriend. You took a jab at Irene today while on drugs. And to top it all off I was freaking out walking up the stairs because your mom called you Kim and I realized that I didn’t even know your middle name. I just think we made everything move too fast for the both of us”

"You never gave me a chance to explain” Sana says looking away from me with a defeated sigh.

“I’m giving you one now, so please, just tell what I need to know. No more lies"

"Okay. I will, but can you hold me?” I moved from my spot next to her and put arm around her resting my head on the headboard. “I don’t even know where to start"

"I don’t know either just wherever. It’s just honestly driving me crazy that I have probably been so oblivious to everything about you and you let it go on for so long"

"I’m sorry"

"I don’t need you to apologize to me. All I need is the truth” It was so hard to contain my anger. I wasn’t upset about the drugs or the other guy anymore. It was about her hurting Irene.

"My family moved back to Miami because of me" Sana began.

I held my breath for a second. “What? You’ve lived in Miami before?”

"I was actually born here”

“Oh my god” I said through groans. “I literally know nothing about you then. Continue"

"My dad had got an offer to work in New York. So we moved at the beginning of my freshmen year"

"That’s why Principal Ford knew your dad then” I stated.

“Yeah. And we’ll I was pissed off about moving over there. So over those three years I did a lot of things to spite my parents. Like making friends with people they didn’t like, dated someone they didn’t approve of and finally the straw that broke the camels back was when I started doing drugs. They made me do an inpatient rehabilitation this summer without warning and when they picked me up they told me that we were moving back to Miami but they never even gave me the chance to say goodbye to anybody in New York” Sana stopped to look at me almost trying to make sure I was listening. And I was. It was just all so much and I was trying to process one word of hers at a time.

“Wait…your parents don’t disapprove of me, right?" According to my brain, that apparently seemed like the most important thing to address at the moment.