Recalcitrance

Audrey's POV

It was late. Far too late for me to be out on the streets alone. The roads were silent and the usual voices of laughter from the children on the street were missing. I hastily made my way across the street and into my home. Our home.

"I'm home!" I take off my shoes and neatly pile them next to Noah's.

"It's a bit late, don't you think?" Noah comes out into the hallway, his hand tracing the walls. "I was wondering where you were."

"I'm fine," My voice comes out a bit ruder than expected.

"I didn't mean to - "

"Any new cases?" I steer him away from the subject of our problems.

"Not right now, but I was checking it before," I feel Noah's head turn directly at me. "Are we going to talk about what I asked you last night?"

"No," I hum to myself as I take out some leftovers from last night. "Did you have dinner?"

"This isn't something we can keep ignoring, Audrey."

"Really, I thought we could make it disappear."

"Nothing deserves to disappear."

"I don't know what to say," I sigh, sitting on one of our chairs. "You want to risk everything for something that might not even turn out right."

"It's worth the risk," Noah pulls out the chair and drags it near me. "Things here change overnight, and at the rate things are going, it won't be long until Madison and Jason take complete control of our court."

"Remember how we first met?" I say abruptly.

"Yeah, but I don't see what that has to do with - "

"Think about it."

The sky was just turning dark as I hurried home from school. The clouds hung heavy and it was a rather cold day. 

Our district, the Daffodil district, directly bordered the poorer districts. We were the peacekeepers, close to the Poppy district, the policemen and women. It was always decently dangerous to be out near our dangerous borders.

"Hey," I instinctively walk faster after hearing a voice. "Wait!"

I push my feet faster, trying to get to the inside, where I could alert authorities or do anything other than what I'm doing right now.

"I was wondering if - " I feel a hand on my shoulder, so, naturally, I do what makes the most sense. I smack the random guy with my backpack, which was heavier than usual with all the textbooks I had.

Oh my god, is someone trying to kill me?

Oh my god, oh my god, did I just hit somebody?

"Wait, no!" He puts his hand up to shield himself.

"Were you trying to rob me?!" I shriek, trying to catch attention.

"Huh? I'm just trying to return - "

"Are you trying to kidnap me?!" To my bitter disappointment, no one came to my aid.

"No! I was returning your pen!" He shoves a cylindrical object into my hand and I momentarily stop pummeling him.

"Oh my gosh," I realize I was hitting some guy that I had lent a pen to in second period. "I am so sorry."

"Well, it happens," He groans and straightens his shirt. "Although, I'm not sure if you usually get attacked by that sweet girl who gave you a pen in science."