Chapter 36

Jimin held the letter, his small fingers wrapping them in his hand, careful, as if it was made out of glass and it would shatter, like how he always does when he'd breakdown. The letter was him - fragile.

Jungkook stared at the letter in the older's hand, his attention fixated on it, burning holes through the letter with dark eyes that seemed to be in flames, the fire growing even bigger, more dangerous, as each second passed by. Jimin felt the heat like the letter was heating up his hands, like he could just drop it at any second, but he wouldn't dare do that.

"Jungkook, what's wrong?" Jimin felt himself grow small, as small as an ant, and Jungkook was big and holding so much power like Goliath and he, himself, was David. He could feel the heat coming off of Jungkook like he was going to burst into flames and Jimin didn't want that. Not at all. "Are you okay? Do you wanna go someplace else to get some fresh air?" He had to bring his hand to rest on Jungkook's arm, rubbing circles onto it to assure him that everything was okay, that he was here - always, for him.

Jungkook didn't even answer, but they found themselves on the school's rooftop where they sat not too long ago, where Jimin brought his hand to feel Jungkook's heartbeat, where he asked for Jungkook not to be scared of him and just look him straight in the eye.

It seemed as if Jimin was the one going against his words because now he couldn't face Jungkook with the confidence and strength he once had. He knew something was up, if anything was up, that is. Everyone's been telling Jimin, constantly, like a broken record, that he's been acting strange, that he's too preoccupied with this letter issue that he can't seem to focus on anything anymore. How, Jimin thought to himself, how could he focus when he knew for sure the clues were so obvious that it had to be one of them sending it.

The rest of their friends found out about the incident last time, on the school rooftop, and as much as Namjoon wanted to help, as much as the others wanted to help, Jimin decided they shouldn't talk about it. He was touched and he felt like trash that day, he didn't even want to open up about how those filthy hands were on him. It was such a shame that same rooftop was the same location he shared his special moment with Jungkook a few weeks ago. It was where he felt Jungkook's heart beat so fast for the very first time.

Aside from knowing about Jimin's incident, they also found out Jungkook was the one who saved him that night.

Thank you, Jungkooks could be heard from left to right, all from Taehyung, Yoongi and the others, of course, but they wouldn't seem to let the story die down because even though Jimin wanted them to pretend it never existed, what Jungkook did was beyond their imagination and it was all about taking a big leap and protecting someone you loved, cherished, and if Jungkook could've died right there, they knew he risked his life for Jimin.

That alone made them respect him even more. Even Jimin didn't know how to react the same way because his respect for Jungkook increased ten fold. It wasn't like he was uncomfortable with the younger one, but seeing what Jungkook was capable of doing, Jimin knew Jungkook was the type to protect the ones dear to him till the end.

"Jimin. Hyung," Jungkook's voice broke the silence that was threatening to suffocate Jimin who was staring at the houses from a distance, as they stood by the ledge, cautious enough not to fall. The taller one stared at Jimin's soft features - his pink, plump lips, his soft tanned skin, his long eyelashes that seemed to be curving upward like the smile Jimin was putting on as he looked at him with gentle eyes. Ever so gentle, like his touch, his hands when he'd be holding Jungkook close and the younger one had to swallow the lump that was forming in his throat yet again because Jimin was making it hard for him. "I really, really like you."

Jimin was still staring at him, but now biting his bottom lip as if he was expecting Jungkook to just burst out laughing or just him saying that he was kidding, but the younger one stayed silent, only for him to come closer and stand about a meter away from the older one.