Chapter 23

Riley’s P.O.V.

Unfortunately, its Sunday. The last day of our glorious vacation. Yesterday, after swimming, we all left Zayn, and went hiking. It was so much fun. I saw snakes, and pretty birds. A couple of bears and deers. Of course I absolutely had to take pictures. Harry got bitten by a snake. It was secretly funny. Now we were sitting at the table, playing UNO.

“Ri, do they play UNO in London?” Niall asked me. I forgot to mention that I was also losing. I had about 15 cards.

“No, but this is so fun!” I squealed.

Just then, my phone was rang. The caller I.D. said Beverly Hills Hospital. I frowned as I picked it up.

“Hello?” I said.

“Hello is this Riley Michaels, sister of Benjamin Michaels?” the lady asked.

I stood up from my chair, and walked outside to get a better reception.

“Yes this is her.” I said.

“I’m sorry to inform you, that Mr. Michaels has been in a tragic accident. We need a family member here, and you are the only one, who is in this country. We need you ASAP.”

I dropped the phone. Tears started to stream down my face. I couldn’t breathe. I couldn’t speak. Harry came outside, and quickly picked up the phone. He answered it.

“Come Riley. Let’s get out of here so we can go see about him.” Harry picked me up and brought me inside.

It took us 15 minutes to get packed, and in the car. Once Zayn heard the news, he packed up too. He drove us all to the hospital. I ran to the secretary.

“Ben Matthews.” I said.

“He is still in surgery. Please have a seat.” she smiled.

I didn’t feel like sitting. I started pacing back and forth.

“Ri, come sit down.” Harry said softly, as he sat me down on the couch.

“Calm down okay?” He asked. I nodded.

After about 5 minutes, a doctor came out.

“Benjamin Michaels” He said. I got up.

“How is he?” I asked.

“Well, the car crashed on his side of the car. A piece of glass went through his chest. It was too deep. I’m sorry Miss. Michaels, but we lost him. We tried our best, but it didn’t help.” he said.

Ben is dead. Ben, my brother is dead. I’m never going to see him again. I’m never going to hear his voice again. I’m never going to hear his corny jokes. I fell on the floor and cried.

“Riley, I’m so sorry” Harry whispered in my ear.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and cried. I was heart broken. Ben acted like the father that I’ve have always wanted. He kissed my boo-boos, when I was little. He dried my tears. He was always there when I had plays and chorus shows. He made my days worth living for. And now he is gone.