Chapter 25

Riley’s P.O.V.

Its now Wednesday. Its been 2 days since the death of Ben. The funeral is today. Elizabeth (my mother) has arrived yesterday. She thought that she was going to stay here, but Harry, Niall, and Zayn didn’t allow it. Speaking of Zayn, he has stayed with me since that night. He wouldn’t go anywhere. Quite honestly, I didn’t mind. I got out the shower, and walked into my room. I put on one of Ben’s favorite blue button up shirt of mine, with  the black dress pants, and some wedges. I straightened my hair, and put on some make-up.

“Ben...this isn’t easy, but I’ll try my best” I mumbled.

There was a knock at my door.

“Come in” I sighed.

Caroline walked in the room.

“Hey, how are you holding up?” she asked, as she stood next to me in the mirror.

“Right now, I would be sitting next to Ben, watching t.v. telling jokes, laughing. That’s what I wanna do. I  wanna laugh. The last time I laughed, was last Sunday morning” I said.

Before Caroline could answer, Niall knocked on the door.

“I’m sorry to interrupt, but the car’s here. Are you ready to go Riley?” he asked.

“Ready as I’ll ever be.” I mumbled.

I walked down the stairs to see Zayn and Harry arguing.

“Guys please...not today. Zayn please forgive Harry for whatever you think he did, so you two can be friends again, please?” I pleaded.

“We’re sorry Riley” they both said. I grabbed their hands, and walked out the door.

It was a 10 minute car ride. I wish it was longer. I got out, and walked towards the double glass doors. I could see Ben laying there, looking like he was sleep. There was Mother, crying in front of him. There were peopled around her, comforting her.

“I can’t do this! I can’t go in there!” I yelled as I tried to run back to the car.

Harry and Zayn were holding me back.

“Harry you go inside, we’ll be in there in a minute."  Zayn said.

“Calm down Riley, just calm down.” he said soothingly.

Everyone went inside, leaving me and Zayn alone.

“Zayn...I can’t do this! I can’t see him, like that!” I cried.

“Listen...I know what you are going through. I never told anyone about this. Only Harry and Niall know, because they grew up with me. I had a little brother, David. He passed away, when he was nine. One night, a black van came rushing around the corner, running from the police, and he lost control, and smashed right into our house. David was asleep on the couch in the living room. His body flew, and we found him dead on the kitchen floor. My mother was devastated. She wouldn’t eat or sleep for days. When it came time for the funeral, I didn’t go, because I didn’t want to see my little brother dead in that casket. I missed the one last chance to see him, to tell him I loved him. Don’t be like me Riley, don’t give up the one chance to tell Ben that you love him.” I swear Zayn Jacobs was crying.

“Okay Zayn….I’ll go”