Chapter 29

Zayn’s  P.O.V.

I walked to my car, upset at the news I had just gotten. One of my dad’s friends is a cop. He just informed me that he found out how Ben’s car crashed. I arrived at the police station. I saw Dave standing in the front.

“Hey Zayn, follow me.” he said as I walked up to him.

I followed him inside. He led me to the interrogation room. I sat down on the chair.

“Zayn, this wasn’t easy, it's none of my business. This case was not assigned to me.” He warned.

“Look, it’s for the sister of the victim. Please just tell me what you know” I pleaded. He sighed.

“The report said that Michaels was speeding, but I got the engineer to overlook the car again. He said that he found no damage to the engine that proved that he was speeding. We did find traces of a potassium nitrate.” He informed me.

“Speak english Dave. I’m only a senior” I said.

He rolled his eyes.

“Potassium Nitrate is also known as saltpeter. Saltpeter can blow out an engine entirely, making the driver lose control. So it wasn’t his fault. If anything he tried to control the car. Unfortunately, he ended up crashing into another car.” Dave said sadly.

I shook my head.

“Who in the world would do something like….”

I thought about it. When I broke up with Nala, she said to Riley, that she was going to get her back. Could Nala really be that sinister to kill Riley’s brother? Would she be able to do that?

“Zayn...hello” Dave snapped his hands in my face, breaking me out of my thought.

“How easy is it to get saltpeter?” I asked him.

“Very easy. You can get it at home depot, lowes, hell even from a chemistry teacher. Why?” he asked.

“I think I know who put the saltpeter in Ben’s car.” Dave looked confused.

“Who? From the report, Michaels had no enemies. “ he said.

“No...not an enemy of Ben. Riley Michaels, his sister. I think I know one person sinister enough to kill someone she loves dearly.” I said as I got up out the chair.

“You still didn’t answer my question. Who?” he sounded annoyed.

“I’ll talk to you later.” I said as I walked out.