13) Repeat or Fast-Forward

ابدأ من البداية

"It's called 'static'."

"Shut up, Flynn. It's a voice...but it's being drowned out by all the static."

"Jett, it's just your imagination."

Lani screeched in delight, her mood suddenly changing from sour to sweet as she clapped her hands together. "I wanna hear the voice!"

Jett turned up the radio as Alice slowed down the car. Alice frowned.

"Jett, you're just hearing things. Don't worry about it."

Jett shuddered, not wanting to turn off the radio. Alice grabbed his hand in a quick, swift motion, and helped him press the 'Off' button.

"There you to. Problem solved. You shouldn't have even turned it on in the first place." Their gaze clicked into place, and Jett looked away.

"Whatever. Just keep going, Alice, don't stop until we've reached our destination."

Alice shrugged. "Well, Jett, if you say so."

"Do you even know where you're going Alice? Come on, be honest here. We all wanna know."

"Of course I know where I'm going, Flynn, otherwise I would've swapped seats with Jett and rendered it all hopeless."

"Well, I do hope you know where you're going."

"Trust me, I know well."

~*~

Alice slowed the car down. It came to a stop, and instantly Jett realized where they were.

"WHAT?" He shouted, waving his arms about.

"WHY ARE WE BACK HERE YOU STUPID IDIOT? THEY'LL KILL-

"Oh shut up, they won't kill us. They can't kill us. We'll just..."

"WE'LL JUST WHAT?"

Lani began crying again. "Jett, calm down." Rose whispered, narrowing her eyes at him.

"WE'RE BACK AT THE AMUSEMENT PARK!HOW CAN I STAY CALM? THEY'LL SEE US! THEY'VE PROBABLY ALREADY SPOTTED US! TH-

"Jett, you heard Rose. Calm down, they might not have even noticed us yet. In fact, they wouldn't have noticed us yet. Their cameras don't-

"IF THEY LOOK OUTSIDE OF THE AMUSEMENT PARK THEY'LL SEE US!"

"If they have the cameras, they won't be bothered to look outside." Flynn said calmly.

Jett took a deep breath before looking Alice in the eye.

"I'm your older brother so you should-

"Age doesn't matter, Jett. I'm sick of following your orders all the time. In fact...I still hate you. The only reason we're together again is because of this stupid apocalypse, otherwise you would still be shut out of my life." Alice said, tears starting to form in her eyes.

"Did you forget everything?" She muttered. Jett didn't say anything. He just sat there, staring at the dashboard. Alice shook her head.

"Exactly."

"I thought we were over that!" His fists tightened. Alice shook her head and hopped out of the car.

"Alice, you must be joking." Jett said, stepping out of the car.

"Hey, whoa, hold up! Let me go after her!" Flynn unbuckled his seatbelt and climbed over Slate with his bow and arrows still in hand. The gravel crunched from underneath his sneakers.

"Jett, wait. I know I haven't got any right to ask you about what happened between-

"Exactly. You don't." Flynn averted Jett's intense glare. His chocolate-brown eyes were cold and seemed almost lifeless.