A bullet whizzed in the air.

"No! Please!"

Katya screamed along with the eruption of panic shouts. Her ear was bleeding.

I moved towards her. "Katya!"

Her terrified gaze met mine before Indy caught me in an embrace. "Indy, wait! She needs--"

"No!" he yelled, forcing me back into the gym.

"What do you mean 'no'? She's the only lead we have--"

Gunshots rained on us. Indy squeezed me to his chest tighter and pushed my head down as we crouched next to the wall. My heart pounded fast, bringing back the memories I had ran away from for so long.

'I promise I won't die'

I gasped. A motorcycle flew past the parked cars.

Indy cursed. He let me go, shouting orders to his men as he went outside to check on the situation.

"Wait! Indy!"

"Stay there!" He ordered with a sharp voice that made me flinch.

"Indy!"

He ignored my calls and walked to an unmoving body. I bit my lip, pacing the floor in frustration.

"Are you okay?"

I whirled towards the speaker and saw Colt's worried face. Shame colored my cheeks as I forgot about him for a minute. I nodded. "You?"

"Fine." Colt seemed to sense my hesitation but he remained tight-lipped.

"Caprice!" Indy waved me over.

I looked at Colt and reached for his hand. "I need to go and--Can we talk later? Please?"

His jaw clenched and unclenched. He pried my fingers from his hand and gave a short nod.

My heart dropped at his indifference but I strengthed my resolve and turned my back on him. There was a gaping hole in our relationship and I didn't know how I could fix it.

I schooled my features, projecting calm as I reached Indy's spot. He crouched and snatched the phone from Katya's limp arm before using her thumb to unlock it.

Katya's eyes were open. Blank and lifeless.

Just like Aeon.

Indy blocked my view, bringing me to reality. He shot me a knowing look before wiping the phone's screen on his pants. "We might find something here." He sighed. "This is my fault. I set up a perimeter but... I didn't think someone could pull this off."

"What do you mean?"

He gestured to a faraway building. "The shot came from about 3,000 yards. That's impossible."

"But not unheard of."

Indy clicked his tongue in frustration. He opened the contacts and redialled the recent call. He handed me the phone and I held my breath in anticipation as I put it against my ear.

It rang a few times before the call dropped.

"Shit." I dialed the number again.

This time, someone picked it up.

"Katya's dead," I declared.

"I see."

The man's voice was unfamiliar. Sleek and calm yet... nostalgic.

"You lost," I said, knowing very well that this was a game.

"And I can try again."

"I suppose that you won't go easy on me then, father."

The man chuckled. "You really are my daughter."

I had known the truth after Indy and I investigated but hearing it directly from him was still a shock. If he was my father, why did he leave? Where was he after all these years? Was my mother alive too?

I was desperate for answers. I wanted to know if there was a reason why I was left alone. If my loneliness was something I truly deserved.

"You outed yourself. There isn't a lot of people who know how grandmother raised me."

"I thought Katya would have broken you if I tell her that," he scoffed. "But until the end, the bitch was useless. I don't understand though... I gave you the freedom you desired. Why would you say no? What? Are you on the old woman's side?"

A way out.

Freedom.

If he had asked me this a month ago, I would've said yes. All I ever wanted was to do things my way, to ignore my grandmother's wicked ideas, and to never answer to anyone.

But now...

"I'm done running," I said.

"Oh?"

"My past--I will face it head high. Starting with you."

The man laughed that Indy shot me a questioning look. He spoke again. "So, you're on her side?"

I sighed, shaking my head. "Abuela is not my ideal parent... but at least she didn't abandon me."