62 | a cold case

S I X T Y - T W O | a cold case—

C A P R I C E

Indiana stood before me. His shoulders were strong and wide but I noticed how his fists were clenched. I instantly knew it was because of the things that Katya had said.

"What the hell?" the woman demanded. "Aren't you supposed to be moping in some island or something?"

"I already warned you that I handle pain just fine." He tilted his head with a slight smirk. "Did you think I was joking?"

Katya gripped the sides of her white pants, one hand curled around her phone. Sweat rolled down her forehead as her own men turned on her and began to follow Indy's subtle instructions.

"No!" She shook her head vehemently. "You were heartbroken! I know what I saw... and yet, you're still helping her?"

Indy let out a derisive laugh. "You based your plan on my feelings? That's like--"

"Like me," I said.

I stepped beside Indy as his men cleaned up around us. There were groans of complaints and annoyance but Katya's broken defense had my attention.

"Exactly," Indy agreed. "She even brought up Aeon's name! Striking using our emotional traumas... How unoriginal!"

"I know that you will follow me here, Katya. I planned it all," I stated. "My marriage is the only thing that stands between you and your ambition. But my fiancé is like a ghost. Nobody really knows him. I didn't know why Abuela chose to hide him from you but she must have assumed that rivals will appear. And so, the only chance you could win is to follow me here and stop my marriage from happening."

"So, you let me?" she shouted. Katya scrambled backward, stepping out into the open. Shattered glass sparkled on her feet as tears stained her porcelain skin. "Is that it?"

"Yes." I followed her outside, feeling the cold wind kissed my cheeks. "Because I know that your boss will show himself."

A dry chuckle escaped her lips. "He won't! No way!"

I frowned, sensing the fear in Katya's words. "Katya, it's okay! I just wanted to know if your boss is--"

"No! N-no!" Katya's fingers trembled as she typed on her phone. "I failed and I--This can't be!"

"Katya--"

Indy yanked me back. "Priz, don't bother. We'll question her later and--"