57 | family circle

F I F T Y - S E V E N | family circle—

A C R Y L I C

The past weeks were tense and awkward at best.

After Colt had reprimanded me, I couldn't face Dad. But I also couldn't leave him alone. I had worked countless part-time jobs just so I could get the money. It was a blessing that my time was packed so I didn't have to go home and answer his questions.

Aiscelle met me in her apartment. We do this every day to check how much money we managed to collect.

"So?" I asked.

"We have..." Her fingers punched the keys on the calculator next to her. "Five million three hundred forty-two thousand three hundred one dollars."

"What?" I sighed and leaned back against the couch. Tiredness seeped into my muscles. I didn't think I could work again tomorrow. "We have a lot left."

"Well, I'm sure Colt has a plan, right?" she said and proceeded to organize the documents on the table.

It took a second for me to stave off the bitterness that came every time Colt's name was mentioned. My brother's previous outburst cleared my eyes but it didn't mean that I enjoyed depending on him.

"How about Taylor?"

"What about him?"

"Did you tell him that we know? And that we're willing to help?" Aiscelle got up to grabbed some drinks. She handed me one as she sat next to me. A sweet scent washed over me, making me realize that Aiscelle was a girl. A very nice one.

"I didn't," I replied and opened the can.

"Why not? He must be worried right now!"

I took a long sip from the soda. The girl was right. I should clear the air with my father but once again, I was terrified to see the disappointment in his eyes. "Okay. Come with me tomorrow."

"What?" She jerked her head to me, looking away from her phone. I knew that she was talking to Caprice again. "But..."

"Are you saying no?" I sat straight, eyeing the deepening blush on her cheeks. She was easy to read and for some reason, her attitude was a breath of fresh air. "Frankly, I might get angry again so I guess... your presence will help a lot."

"Well, if you say it like that then..."

"Thanks, Aiscelle. Can I sleep here again?" She shot me a scandalized look, making me chuckle before she nodded her agreement.

The next day, Aiscelle and I were up early to beat Dad to the gym. I paced the steps, practicing my apology speech when the old man appeared. He crossed the street, smiling at me.

But I didn't return that smile.

Next to him was Eli.

"Dad! What is he doing here?"

"Oh. I got his sentence reduced so he will be spending time with us before his community service."

"What?" I exclaimed. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "After what he did? After what he put me through?"

For the first time in a while, my dad's face hardened. He narrowed his eyes at me. "Really, Acrylic? Do you want to blame Eli for everything? If you want to be angry at someone... then be angry at me. It was my fault that I didn't raise you right."

I froze. My father's words pierced through the guilt-ridden defense. My fingers curled into fists before I felt Aiscelle's hand on my arm. Staring at her wide green eyes reminded me of what I came here to do.

I inhaled deeply. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say that."

Dad sauntered towards me, clamping a hand on my shoulder. "Son, I will forgive you no matter how many times you fuck up. But I won't tolerate it if you keep blaming others for your mistakes. I told you, right? Being an adult means taking responsibility. Don't forget that."

I nodded. This was the reason why Colt had envied me. Because I have a father that shined so brightly. How could I ask for more?

I sighed and looked towards Eli. "Does that mean I get another brother?"

Eli's face lit up. He scratched at his brow, shooting me with a sheepish smile. "Is that okay? I never really had... a family before."

Dad sighed, ruffling the young boy's curly hair. "You have one now."

Aiscelle chuckled beside me. She let the warm atmosphere embraced us for a minute before she cleared her throat. "Actually Taylor, we have something to tell you. You see--Colt?"

I frowned and followed the line of her gaze. She was right.

Colt was coming towards. He was clad in black again. There was a dangerous glint in his eyes that worried me. What the hell happened to him?

"Oh, god. I'm dead," Aiscelle whispered. She bit at her nails that I decided to take pity on her.

"We should have lunch together," I declared that all of their foreheads creased in bewilderment. "Hey, don't look at me like that."

Colt shook his head before he spoke. "That's fine. But I have to--"

Dad cut off Colt's words, smiling at him. "Come on. It's rare for AC to treat us."

I gasped. "What? I didn't say--"

"I want kind crabs!"

"That sounds good."

"Hey!" My complaints weren't heard as the three of them kept discussing food.

A warmth engulfed my hand, pulling my attention away. I looked down to see Aiscelle gazing at me with gratitude. "You okay?"

She nodded. "You noticed, huh?"

"That Caprice didn't tell Colt where she went?" I mumbled. "You were kind of obvious. Now, I don't know what's happening but... Caprice is not doing something bad, right? Colt would--"

"No, no." Aiscelle put her hands up, waving desperately. "She just had things to take care of."

"If you say so..." I muttered. "That guy deserves his happiness."