31 | crossing the line

T H I R T Y - O N E  | crossing the line

T H I R T Y - O N E | crossing the line

A C R Y L I C

My agenda was clear.

Approach Dad and tell him that I would fight in Philly. The prize would be worth it. If I win...

But I stopped in my tracks as I glimpsed at my father's weary face. His forehead knitted while he read the papers in front of him.

I knocked on the door. It startled him. He hid the papers and looked at me. "AC, do you need anything?"

"Is that bills?" I asked instead. There's no way I would be shameless enough to ask for money now.

"Yeah. Don't worry. I took care of it." He smiled and it only made me guiltier.

For a second, I thought of pursuing a different career. Maybe I could help him more. But the thought of leaving the gym caused an ache in my chest.

Dad was a sports trainer. And since my mother died when I was young, he had no choice but to bring me to work. I hadn't understood at first but as time went by, the gym had become my home.

I loved everything about it. The lights, the sounds, the smell. It was heaven.

Eventually, I had become a fighter. And I was great at it. Once, I even thought that I was destined for it. Like I could conquer the world.

But Colt had shattered my dreams.

Just like that.

Here appeared a man with no proper training, no refined technique. Nothing but pure talent.

"AC, what is it?" Dad questioned when I fell silent.

"Nothing, Dad. Just wanted to check on you," I muttered. "Don't stay up late."

I turned to the exit when he called for me again.

"Please don't tell Colt about this, alright? I'll discuss it with him myself."

I clenched my jaw as the pangs of envy grabbed me. "So, I'm not allowed to worry but Colt can? Am I little kid to you that you need to hide your problems from me?"

"AC, it's not like that." He let out a deep sigh, pushing the silver hair off his face.

"Is it because he brings more money?"

"Acrylic enough!" Dad crossed his arms as he admonished me. "Where is this jealousy coming from? I treat you the same."

"You don't!" I yelled as dismay flitted over Dad's face. I bit back the rest of my words and exited his office. It's better than exchanging more heated words with him.