54 | the first deceiver

F I F T Y - F O U R | the first deceiver—

C A P R I C E

Barcelona was the same as ever. Dancers, tourists, and kids playing football littered the streets as the brilliant architecture of Antoni Gaudi surround them. Even the golden shoreline was as beautiful as I remembered.

A ridiculous thought. It wasn't like years had passed since I left.

My body begged to differ though. It might have only been months but it felt like years had descended on me. I couldn't sleep. All I could think about was the situation I was in. The life I had built without Abuela's influence was being threatened.

A house of cards that would collapse with the truth.

"Can't we go to Ibiza instead?"

Indy ignored me and proceeded to open the roof of his Porsche. He had been driving nonstop but we had to stop by his house just so he could drive his own car. "Were you saying something?" he asked as the wind whizzed past us.

I rolled my eyes at his obvious ploy and put my chaotic hair in a ponytail. A minute later, the hospital building came into view. The sight of the private institution made me lose my breath. My palms were clammy and the urge to hurl my dinner was quickly becoming a possibility. "Mierda!"

"Priz?" Indiana parked the car and turned to me. He placed his hands on mine. "Oye ¿Me estás escuchando?"

I nodded at him and squeezed his hand.

"Caprice, come on." Indy's worried voice brought me back to the present. His gray eyes brimmed with concern as he stroked the top of my head. "You get to have some answers today. That's a good thing."

"I know. I know."

Indy reached down and pulled out a cap from the paper bag he had earlier. He put it on me, adjusting the angle until my face was hidden. "Now, you're ready."

He tugged me forwards after locking his car. We used the side entrance and with Indy's guidance, we reached my grandmother's hospital room in no time. He raised his fist to knock but I stopped him. He raised a questioning eyebrow.

"Give me a minute, por favor."

"You have ten seconds," he said. "Diez, nueve, ocho--"

"Okay! Geez! I'm going in." I inhaled deeply and opened the door. I raised my cap to see the place.

The first thing I noticed was how bright the room was. Sunlight streamed from the wide glass walls, only partially hidden cream-colored curtains. Pale pillows and salmon shade sofa on light cherry wood furniture make up most of the room. It was spacious too with a dining table and a small kitchen on the right side.