24 | in loving memory

T W E N T Y - F O U R | in loving memory—

C A P R I C E

We started to work the next day because of my insistence. Colt looked a little better so I wanted to finish the job as soon as possible. I had borrowed a laptop from the hotel to see what Sonny was up to. But Colt took over after I had failed to get it to work.

A smug look crossed his face as he tapped into the clubhouse's CCTVs.

"Are you bragging?" I asked, sitting next to him at the edge of the bed.

"No. This is basic," he replied, eyes trained on the laptop's screen.

"Yeah. That's bragging."

We watched the videos but it didn't take long before the man got irritated. In fact, both of us were getting annoyed at the repeated cycle of people walking and talking.

"Let's narrow this down." I turned to him, crossing my arms. "What's his job anyway?"

Colt scratched at his brow. His jaw clenched before he let out a sigh. "He's in charge of drugs." He shot me a glance before he continued, "In Paloma's cartel. If he's here, it's either a deal, an alliance, or a distribution channel. I doubt its a drug deal—"

"Because he'd never come himself?" I cut off which left him gobsmacked.

"How do you know about this?" Colt exclaimed, eyeing me with interest. "And why this doesn't freak you out?"

I shrugged. "I get the allure of illegal businesses. No tax, more profit."

"Allure? Only you would say that." Colt smirked. "No wonder I like you."

I arched an eyebrow. "You don't hurt people you like."

"That's because I wasn't sure back then," he stated. For the first time in a while, clarity and determination filled his dark eyes. "Don't worry. When I do make a move, you'll know it."

Before I could say anything, he focused back on the device's screen. His words left me a tad disoriented. But recalling that particular night he had thrown my beliefs back to my face strengthened my walls again. No way was I going to fall for any of his tricks.

"Oh, we're lucky."

My eyes flicked to the screen, seeing a side-view of Sonny and an old man. Sonny's face was barely seen but the old man's features were distinct. Great.