41 | do or die

F O R T Y - O N E | do or die—

C O L T

The feeling of warmth and lightness was becoming a routine whenever Caprice was in my arms. My finger traced the line of her straight nose, her lashes, her sharp cheekbones, and her shapely lips. She was perfect.

My hand moved to her neck, down to her breasts. I was excited to revere her magnificent body once again when I heard the doorknob twist.

I tensed, rolling off the bed to get the gun I plastered under my bed. My senses were on high alert as I stepped out of the bedroom in my boxers. The doorknob was being shaken with a desperate force.

I flattened my back against the wall as the door burst open. I pressed the gun's muzzle on the back of his head but he turned, swatting the gun away. I kicked his stomach and punched his face.

Maky coughed loudly. "Geez."

I rolled my eyes and picked up the gun, setting it on the kitchen counter. I entered the bedroom to put on my pants. "What's your problem?" I asked when I returned. "Couldn't you call first?"

"I did!" he complained, wiping his bruised cheek. "You weren't answering although..." His eyes flicked towards Caprice's discarded clothes on the floor. "I see why."

I scoffed and collected the garments, putting everything in the laundry basket. "So, what was so important that you need to pick my door?"

"Because I bring bad news and I can't wait to see your ugly face when I say 'I told you so'?" Maky chattered with a beaming smile.

"What is it?" he asked, ignoring the wickedness in his eyes.

"Do you know Indiana Zobel?"

"The one who put Villaruz in prison?"

"There's word in the streets that he's looking for information about you."

"Why?"

"Who cares? Maybe he's bored," Maky shrugged. "But you know what this means, right? Paloma will know where you are. He'll eventually have you back."

"No," I remembered Caprice's words that the person who let me out was someone who wanted me to live in fear. "This isn't Paloma."

"What?"

"I know Patron. If he wanted me to kill me, he would've sent Zeus or someone. He didn't need to bail me from prison. Someone else... There is someone else who wants me to suffer."