23 | slice of fear

T W E N T Y - T H R E E | slice of fear—

C A P R I C E

Colt didn't sleep in his room for two days but he had shown up at every forum. He had been quiet, eyes red with disheveled hair and clothes. He acted like someone with an unending hangover.

I looked up just in time to see him stroll in. I grinned at him which he returned with an odious glare. He sat next to me. My attention was on the speaker as she talked about different sports equipment. Still, I could see from the corner of my eye how Colt massaged his temples, his fingers tapping against the armchair.

I faced him. I tilted my head and cast him a mocking smile. "You okay?"

He rolled his eyes, fingers against his forehead. "Have you ever been in love?"

"No."

"Then, you'll never know what this feels like."

I frowned. His words made no sense but my curiosity always got the better of me. "What's that got to do with anything?"

"You see," he began. "The thing that causes you pain is also the thing that will save you." Colt's dark eyes met mine. "I say love and addiction are the same. It's no wonder everyone wants it."

I didn't know if he was referring to me but I was in no mood to be nice. Even if he was in pain. "Sex doesn't hurt."

"You really have an answer to everything, don't you?" Colt remarked as he coughed softly. He cleared his throat but his voice remained scratchy. "But you're wrong. It will hurt once you start catching feelings."

"That never happened to me."

This time, he was stunned. A wistful look passed his face before he leaned back, eyes closed. "Good for you."

I didn't answer anymore. An hour passed by before I heard a biting curse from him. He sprang up from his seat and marched outside. I chuckled and continued listening when someone else sat on Colt's spot. It was Sonny.

"Hey," he mumbled.

I tried not to let my annoyance seep out. "Hey."

"Is something wrong with Colt?" he inquired which I shrugged in response. His smile didn't waver but this time, I felt wary. The cheerful persona he had made my skin crawl. It was the perfect cross between Maky's predatory gaze and Taylor's honest kindness.

"You should really stay away from him," he continued despite my silence. "He was Patron's best hitman. But he left after some stupid fight with—"