53 | the kids are alright

F I F T Y - T H R E E | the kids are alright—

C O L T

The rain continued pouring that I entered the pharmacy dripping wet. I ignored the odd looks, grabbed what I needed, and quickly dropped them on the counter. A bottle of water and a handful of antibiotics and painkillers and a pack of cigarettes.

I placed a crumpled bill that I had exchanged from the guys on the ship. The cashier took one look at my bloody face and worked fast. I snatched the bag from her and went back to the car that Bernard rented.

The old man started the car while I took the medicines. Bernard and I had made a deal that he'd bring me to where my father was in exchange for his life.

People like him had no sense of loyalty anyway. But in Bernard's case, it was more of reaching his limit. Alvarez was a rat. He clung to whoever could give the most profit. And Bernard was surely losing men left and right from trying to protect him.

But my mother didn't know that. She had sent me to him, thinking that Alvarez was decent enough to protect me from Paloma. But trash was trash no matter how nice you dressed them up. Not only did he threw me to the red general, but he had also taken the money that mother had left for me.

Bernard stopped the car across the hotel. "You ready?"

"Yeah."

We crossed the street together, ignoring the rain that pelted us. With Bernard's access, we managed to pass the hotel's security. Concerned looks were being exchanged as we rode the elevator but one glare from me and they ceased.

"You should have cleaned up a little," Bernard muttered.

"What difference does it make?" I answered at the same time the doors opened. The older man gestured towards the end of the hallway, one leg ready to bolt. I raised a brow that he sighed and accompanied me to the target room.

Bernard knocked. "Señor, it's me."

The door opened and Alvarez's face contorted into anger as he shouted. "Didn't I tell you to contact me when--Eleazar?"

I smirked, walking past the bodyguard to come face to face with my so-called father. I cocked the gun in my hand and smiled at him. "Buenos días, Señor."

"Is my job here done?" Bernard asked from behind me.

I shut the door to his face and gestured towards the leather armchair on the corner. Alvarez's fingers shook as he followed my silent orders. "That's right. Fear me. Como la pequeña rata que eres."

"What do you want?" he yelled, glaring at the gun that was pointed at him. "Your mother's money? It's all gone!"

"I know," I said, taking the seat before him. "But you have other means of income, don't you? Bernard wouldn't have stayed if you're broke."