58 | for my soul

F I F T Y - E I G H T | for my soul--

C A P R I C E

I let out a huff and observed the spotless apartment. It took me an hour to clean up and act as if I had been here the whole week. I almost got caught but thankfully, I was already in L.A. when I received Aiscelle's SOS.

I slumped down on the sofa, placing my feet on the table. Sweat rolled from my forehead as I fanned myself. The heat was strong despite the sleeveless shirt and short skirt I wore.

What was I doing this all this cleaning for anyway? I was about to confess my sins. I should've thought up a speech instead.

There was a knock that sent my heart tumbling in despair. Shit. I stood up and opened the door. Our gazes locked though my lips remained sealed. What should I say?

"Uhm... Colt, I--"

He yanked me to his chest. I could feel his heartbeat, wild and strong. I sighed and hugged him tighter, letting his desperation clung to me.

"How are you?" I asked, rubbing a hand against his back.

"Fine." Colt stepped back although his arms remained around my waist. He scanned me from head to toe before lifting a finger to trace the line of my nose. "I miss you."

I smiled. He looked the same. Messy hair, dark eyes, and a cocky aura. And yet, I felt that something shifted. "Colt, I want to tell--"

"Nah, me first."

"What?" I mumbled as he searched his pockets. There was a frown on his handsome face before he yanked out a ring. He tossed it to me, relishing on my perplexed expression. It was a simple gold and silver ring with an inscription inside. "Is this...?"

Souls tend to go back to those who feel like home.

Colt's thumb created circles on my cheek. His dark orbs locked with mine in an intense and passionate gaze. "Should we get married?"

What?

He caressed my face lovingly and muttered the words I always longed to hear. "You are my home, Caprice. I love you."

Happiness bloomed in my chest. My wish had come true. That should be enough. Right? And yet, my mind didn't want to accept it. I held his hand, pressing it against my face. "I love you too but... you said, you weren't ready and there's still something--"

"Forget I said that." His mouth swooped down to cover mine but I stopped him. "What?"

"Answer me first," I demanded. "Why now? Did something happen?"

"So many questions, love." Colt lowered his head to kiss my ear, down to the curve of my neck, biting lightly at the soft skin and then blowing on it to soothe the little sting. "Let's not waste our time on questions."