39 | love of my life

T H I R T Y - N I N E | love of my life—

C A P R I C E

Aiscelle was reading a book in the living room when I found her. She gave me an annoyed look and returned to her book.

I sat in front of her, crossing my legs. "How long will you give me the cold shoulder? Did I do something bad?"

She shut the book. "I can't believe you're asking that!"

"You like Colt that much?" I taunted further.

Aiscelle flushed. "It's not—"

"He's the love of my life. I won't let you have him." My declaration stunned her but I didn't care anymore. I would do anything for my goal.

"W-what!"

I sighed. "I'm sorry for lying, Aiscelle. I have a lot of secrets that even Colt doesn't know about. Though as a sign of trust, I'll tell you who I am."

"Caprice! W-wait!" The girl's eyes widened with nervousness. She linked her quivering fingers together.

"I'm Caprice del Fuego. It means I'm rich and occasionally sleeps naked in rolls of money." I smiled at her. "And I need your help."

"Wait up!" She held her hands up but I continued talking about what I wanted her to do.

I dug the credit cards Jack had managed to push on my hands when he leaned in to whisper in my ear. If I use it, it would be cheating in the game that Abuela had created.

But I didn't give a fuck.

If Indiana was forced to send Jack in the pretense of that TV interview, he must be desperate.

Danger definitely lurked around me.

Colt's back was to me. He was hunched over the kitchen counter, focused on some book. He was only in his jeans with a black towel hanging over his broad shoulders.

I hugged him from behind, kissing the side of his neck. "Why are you still up?"

"As if I could sleep without you," he replied. His eyes were still trained on the pages of a cookbook. "Are you hungry?"

Before I could answer, Colt got a burger from the microwave. He set it next to him and pulled me down to sit.

My stomach grumbled, causing him to laugh. Come to think of it, I had been too busy to eat anything. I grabbed the burger and took a bite. I could hear my grandmother's derisive comments but it vanished as the sauce melted in my tongue.