36 | deck shuffle

T H I R T Y - S I X | deck shuffle

C O L T

The scent of strawberries and roses assaulted my nostrils. It took me a moment to realize where the fuck this delicious smell came from.

Caprice. Right.

The events of last night hit me. I looked down to see Caprice burrowing her face on my chest. Her presence calmed me that for the first time in a while, I wanted to stay in bed.

And maybe a repeat performance of last night.

But alas, all things come to an end.

The message I had been waiting for came. It was an address of where Almeda would be later. There were questions about why I was using this number again but ignored them. It's better to keep quiet for now.

It wasn't my first time dealing with syndicates and drug lords. I knew what tickled their fancy but Almeda also knew who I was or who I used to be. If he asked for money, that'd be fine but if he asked for my services... I would hesitate. It wasn't easy to get out the first time. I wasn't so sure I could do it again.

I liked to think that my life these past seven years were worth it.

But it's not.

It was one failure after another. It was years of me fighting my demons. Over and over. And just when I thought that things were starting to look up for me... shit like this happened.

That damn Acrylic...

No. I shouldn't think like that. In the first place, it was me who barrelled into their family. It was me who brought them misery.

I was the bad luck.

And what if Caprice got hurt because of me?

I bolted upright as my detrimental thoughts overwhelmed my mind. I rubbed a hand over my face, pinching my nose. "Fuck."

"What happened?" Caprice grumbled beside me. She wrapped her arms around my waist. "You okay?"

I nodded. "You're a cuddler?"

She flushed and untangled her arms from me. "Of course not!"

I chuckled, caging her in my arms. "I don't mind."

"Are you going somewhere?"