08 | law of judgment

E I G H T | law of judgment—

C A P R I C E

Aiscelle had woken me up as she made a cacophonous racket out of her books. My eyes were wide awake and I deduced that I couldn't close them again so I stood up. Our apartment was simple. It had bedrooms parallel to each other with a living room connected to a kitchen at the center. The bathroom was in front of Aiscelle's room while a storage closet faced mine. My favorite part was the small balcony next to the living room.

I had found Aiscelle slumped face-first in a pile of books with a cup of coffee next to her. A mop of brown hair peeked out from the stacks of books with a lot of inaudible sighs. I tapped my fingers against the wooden kitchen table. "Is this how people study now?"

She replied with a garish groan.

My eyes scanned over the titles of her books. Introduction to Calculus. Calculus of a Single Variable 8th edition. Differential and Integral Calculus. I snickered. "You're having trouble with that?"

The college student jerked her head up, sleepy eyes blinking at me. "Did I wake you up?"

"It's okay." My nightmare would eventually wake me up. I yanked a chair and sat in front of her. "Do you want me to help you?"

"Really?"

I chuckled and I helped her study until six in the morning. We both prepared for the day with Aiscelle stressfully memorizing formulas. She dashed out with a quick goodbye to me. The young girl was earning my respect that I didn't mind helping her.

I toasted a slice of bread from Aiscelle's food stash, noting that I needed to do my own shopping.

Grocery shopping whirled in my head as I entered the gym, heading straight to the lockers. I pushed my bag into the locker and changed into my uniform. A white shirt, dark green loose jogger pants, and rubber boots along with the yellow cleaning apron finished my look. It wasn't bad but I hated it still.

I tied my hair and grabbed a mop. I entered the men's bathroom and nearly went out again, seeing a man empty his urinary bladder. My grip on the mop's handle tensed, looking anywhere but him.

"I don't think you should be surprised. You clean here." The rush of water resonated in the room before his heavy steps sounded as he advanced in my direction. "Are you new?"

"Well," I started, clearing my throat. I refused to be mortified because it wasn't my fault. His light blue eyes squinted at me and I hardened my stare. "Yes. I'm sorry."

"I see." His dark hair was swept up, exposing his striking features. His biceps flexed as he inserted his hands into his pockets. "I'm Acrylic Blake," he proclaimed. He had an expectant face that I frowned and the surname Blake popped into my mind. So, he's related to Taylor?