Chapter 22 - The Turnaround

Start from the beginning

"You guys can relax. I got this one covered," Mercedes said. "Cool," Mr. Schue smiled. "Hold on a second. I want a chance to get funky too," I said. I knew if given the chance I definitely could bring it with a funk number. Everyone started laughing when I said that. "Good one, Quinn. It even sounds funny when you say it," Mercedes said through her laughing. "You said funk was about soul and anger. I have plenty of both," I said determined "Look at me. Look at my life. I'm furious!" "Let's be honest. When white people try to be funky, you end up with K.C. and the Sunshine Band," Mercedes said laughing a bit. "I love "Boogie Shoes"," Artie smiled. "Mercedes's racism aside I will have something prepared tomorrow," I said determined. "All right. Quinn goes first," Mr. Schue said as the bell rang.

I knew I had to look up funk songs to find the perfect one. I headed for the library as I looked into funk records which I found 'It's a Man's World' which I definitely could relate to. I decided that would be the perfect song for me to perform tomorrow. I called on some help from my friends at the unwed mothership connection to help me with my performance. I knew it was going to be perfect.

"Okay, Quinn, it's your day to show us your funky side," Mr. Schue said as I nodded. "So, take it away," Mr. Schue said as he took a seat. I took a deep breath as I began to talk. "For some of us just simply getting to class takes a little bit longer. When you're pregnant you're responsible for two lives and you're walking down the hallway oppressed by the man," I began. "Oh, my goodness, she is not about to go there," Mercedes cringed. "Hearing people call you fat," I began as the Unwed Mothership Connect then began to join me. "Sometimes it hurts.Sometimes you have to stop and hold that precious life and say "No"," I said "This is offensive. Who are these girls?" Artie asked "We're the Unwed Mothership Connection and that's what we're here to sing about," I said as I took my position as 'It's a Man's World' began to play as I took my position and began to perform.

"This is a man's world. This is a man's world but it wouldn't be nothing, nothing without a woman or a girl. You see man made the cars to take us over the road. Man made the train to carry the heavy load. Man made electric light to take us out the dark.Man made the boat for the water, like Noah made the ark.This is a man's, man's, man's world but it wouldn't be nothing, nothing without a woman or a girl. Man thinks about the little baby girls and the baby boys. Man make them happy, cause man made them toys and after man make everything, everything he can fo you know that man makes money? To buy from other man. This is a man's world but it would be nothing, nothing, not a one little thing without a woman or a girl. He's lost in the wilderness.He's lost in betterness. He's lost, lost somewhere now in loneliness," I sang as I finished the song emotional. The New Directions bursted into applause for me as they all hugged me tightly as the bell rang.

"Thanks guys," I said as I got my things. "Quinn...that was really great," Mercedes told me. "Thanks Mercedes," I smiled a bit. "I'm sorry I acted like you couldn't get funky. You're right, funk is about soul meets anger and you have a lot of that in your life right now," Mercedes said. I nodded as she hugged me. "I hope staying at my house has been helping," she said. "It's definitely made things easier to get through. I'm thankful for your parents they've really been amazing to me. Far better than I deserve," I said honestly. Mercedes shook her head amazed. "Come on let's get home," Mercedes said as I left with her.

The next day I was heading to Glee Club practice when I was stopped by a familiar voice. "Quinnie?" I turned around to see my mom standing there. "Mom?" I said emotional as my mom hugged me tightly. "What are you doing here? Is Dad okay...?" I asked her confused. "Your father is fine. Oh Quinnie I am so sorry for what we did to you," my mom said. I shook my head "It's alright," "I talked to your sister...she told me everything," my mom said as I seemed amazed. "Mom...did something happen?" I asked as my mom sighed. "I left your father," she told me as I seemed amazed. "Wait why?" I asked dumbfounded. "I found out he was cheating on me with some tattooed freak. I'm just so glad to see you're okay. Frannie told me you were living with another guy," my mom said as I sighed. "I was living with Puck for awhile...he's the father of the baby," I told my mom who seemed surprised "But one of my friends from Glee Club, Mercedes and her family are letting me stay with them for awhile," I told my mom. My mom seemed relieved to hear that. "Quinnie, I am so sorry I wasn't there for you. I know I should've been. You were right. I was scared. Scared of what your father might do if he found out. There's going to be no more of that. We're getting a divorce," she told me. "Mom..." I said shaking my head. "Quinnie I want you to move in with me," my mom said. I was shocked. My mom was offering to let me move in with her? Things definitely were changing. "We can change the guest room into a nursery. I can help you take care of the baby," my mom told me. I knew I had a lot to consider. "I don't know if I should keep her mom," I sighed. "Her? The baby's a girl," my mom said getting emotional as I nodded. "I'm going to make it up to you for all this lost time...when is your sectional performance?" my mom asked. "In 2 weeks, March 27th," I told her. "I'll be there," my mom assured me. I just hugged her again. "Thank you," I whispered. "Of course," my mom said.