Chapter 54 || "It's Yours, Baby Girl"

AN: this picture is for visual reference of what Helaina describes Shawn looking like at a point in the chapter, you'll know it when you read it. also he looks so good in this picture i'm gone ALSO HIS FINGERS ARE SO LONG???

Forty-five minutes later, I'm three beers in and my head is beginning to spin. Still perched on Isaac's lap, I watch as the group plays a game of Spin the Bottle. Isaac, Shawn, and I are the only ones not playing, instead opting out to sit and watch instead. In the past forty-five minutes, I've gotten to know Isaac better than I know Evelyn, and I suspect that the high levels of alcohol now in my bloodstream is to blame for my over-sharing. I find out that Isaac has a girlfriend of his own- a girl named Jaclyn who's a senior at a school a town over from ours- and that he enjoys talking about her. A lot.

The three of us watch as Liam leans and kisses Farrah, one of the girls in the group. Liam's mouth opens so wide that I can see his tongue slip inside Farrah's mouth. I squeal and burst out laughing, leaning back into Isaac. He pulls his joint away from his face and exhales, looking down on me.

"What's up baby?" he asks me, referring to his pet name he had created for me. Ever since Isaac found out that I'm the youngest one here, he's been referring to me as the baby of the group.

"That shit's gross." I giggle, pointing at Liam and Farrah.

Isaac follows my finger and breaks out into a fit of laughter when he sees what I see. My eyes squeeze shut as I laugh, gasping for air. My face scrunches up and my my body hunches over as I laugh, Isaac's doing the same.

"I'm going to go get a drink, Laina." Shawn says, standing up from his chair.

"Wait!" I yell, sitting up straight and grabbing onto him. Shawn looks at me expectantly, waiting for what I have to say, but I suddenly forget everything I was just thinking about.

"What?" he asks.

"I don't know, I forget." I say. "What did you say?" I ask, poking him in the chest.

"I said I'm going to get a drink." Shawn repeats, and I jump up and nod.

"Yes! I was going to say..." I slur, the world going slightly dizzy. I grab onto Shawn for support, who puts his arm around me and helps me stand up straight. "I was going to say don't drink. I don't think I can drive home like this."

"I'm not, I'm getting a water." Shawn informs me. "Go sit back down before you fall over."

"Fineeee." I say, dragging the word out. Shawn helps me sit down next to Isaac, who hands me my beer. I go to drink from it, and Shawn quickly grabs it out of my hand.

"I think you've had enough." he says, and I frown.

"Shawn." I whine. "Give me my drink back."

"Okay, I'll go get you a new drink." Shawn says, and walks away. I slump back into the chair and look at Isaac, who's staring at the wall.

"Where's Jaclyn?" I ask, referring to his girlfriend.

"She's with her parents on vacation skiing somewhere with other rich white people." Isaac says, twirling the joint in his hand between his fingers.

"Why do her parents hate you?" I ask, frowning. Isaac laughs.

"I never said they hate me." he says, and I shrug.

"You didn't need to." I say.

"They're rich, bougie assholes. They hate that I'm dating Jaclyn." Isaac says, and I frown. I grab his hand and hold onto it, stroking my fingers up and down the skin.

"You're so nice. They're assholes!" I yell, and Isaac bursts out laughing. I feel a tap on my shoulder, and I turn to see Shawn looking at me with an amused expression.