Chapter 20 || "So, Where's The Party At?"

I blink, completely caught off-guard by Shawn in front of me.

"Oh, hi." I say. My phone vibrates in my hand, and Shawn and I look down at it at the same time. Before I have the chance to figure out what's going on, Shawn plucks my phone right out of my hand and begins reading my messages.

"What's this?" he asks, a mischievous tone to his voice.

"Shawn, no!" I yell a little too loudly. A few people look over at us, including our substitute, and I sink back in my chair. "Give me my phone back." I say lower this time.

Shawn ignores me, continuing to scroll through my phone. Finally, he hands me my phone back, a wicked grin played out on his lips. I look at him wearily, before unlocking my phone and looking around to see what he did. I don't notice anything first, and am about to lock my phone again, when my phone vibrates with a new message. I see a text from Kennedy in the group chat she created earlier and press on the message. I scroll through my messages, and my heart drops when I see a new message sent that I never typed.

H: what about Shawn

B: Mendes?

E: Isn't he the one you hooked up with at Carson's?

H: yeah

K: omg Helaina 👀

K: Friday night is going to interesting af 👅😂

I lock my phone, putting it face-down on my desk. I look up at Shawn, who's just smiling at me.

"I can't believe you took my phone and invited yourself to my friends party." K say. Shawn shrugs.

"Technically you invited me. That's what the messages say, at least." he teases. I roll my eyes, playfully swatting him on the arm.

"Yeah, whatever." I reply, biting back a smirk.

"So, where's the party at?" Shawn asks.

"Kennedy Larson's house. I'll text you the address." I tell him.

"Or I could just drive you." he offers. I nod, biting back a smile.

"Yeah, sure. Also, don't call it a party around Kennedy. She's referring to it as a 'get-together'." I say.

"Why?" he asks.

"I don't know." I say with a shake of my head. "It's not big enough to be considered a party but she still needed something to call it, I guess."

Shawn nods knowingly.

"Are we going to a coffee shop still after school?" I ask. "You know, to study?"

"Are you sure that we can't study at your house?" Shawn asks. "If we're in your house, we don't have to worry about being loud." A few people look over, and I feel the blood rush to my cheeks, instantly turning them rosy.

"Can you be quiet?" I whisper, and he smirks. "Yes, I'm sure. We talked about this yesterday."

"I can't go directly after school, it'll have to be an hour after." Shawn says, and I nod.

"That's fine." I reply.

The rest of class is spent trying to complete the worksheet that Mrs. Hernandez left us. Shawn helps me with the questions that I don't understand and I finish with five minutes left. Writing my name on the top of the worksheet, I stand up from my seat and walk over to Mrs. Hernandez's desk. As I walk past Shawn, I feel his hand slap my ass. I look back in surprise, my jaw dropping a little. He bites his lip and smiles goofily at me, but I know that underneath his adorable smile is something much more sexual. I brush off the gesture and hand the worksheet into the substitute. She accepts it with a smile and I walk back to my seat. When I walk past Shawn, I feel him grab my ass again. I swat his hand off and sit down, silently cursing myself out for blushing so easily.

I sit back down at my desk and go on my phone for the rest of class. When the bell rings to signal the end of the day, everyone stands up from their seats. As I head for the door with Shawn, I spot Julia heading for the door as well.

"Bye, I'll text you later." I say and rush out the door. I stand beside the door and wait for Julia to come out. When she comes out and spots me, her eyes go wide and she tries to run in the opposite direction. I chase after her, calling her name.

"Julia! Wait for me! Please!" I call, and she turns around, looking at me with pursed lips.

"What?" she asks, her tone clearly annoyed and her arms crossed defensively in front of her chest.

"Can we talk about what happened?" I ask, and she starts walking. I trail at her side.

"What is there to talk about?"

"Julia, please. You're my best friend! I can't stand fighting with you like this." I say.

"We're not fighting- fighting requires talking and screaming, something of which that we are not doing." she replies with a snarky tone.

"Julia." I beg, and she finally gives in. She looks at me and sighs, but not before rolling her eyes first.

"Okay, what?"

"I'm really sorry about what happened between us yesterday. What I said to you was completely out of line and I regretted it instantly. I don't even know why I would say something like that, it was just so out of character for me and you know that." I apologize. She nods.

"I'm sorry too for slapping you." Julia says, and I shake my head.

"Don't be. I would've slapped me too." I say, and we both laugh. "So does this mean that we're all good now?"

"Yeah, sure. We're all good now." Julia replies, and I smile. "But just remember that if you ever pull that shit again, they're gonna have to pry my cold-dead hands off your neck." I have to stare at her for a minute before I realize that she's joking. Once I notice it, we both start laughing, heading out the doors of the school together.