Chapter 3 || "Helaina and Shawn- Table 5"

"Helaina! Why aren't you awake yet? It's almost time for you to leave for school!"

My eyes shoot open, and I sit straight up. My mom is standing in the doorway, staring at me. I turn to look at my phone on my bedside table and press the home button. The screen lights up, and I look at the time. It's 7:05. I have to leave to get Julia in ten minutes.

"Shit!" I yell, jumping up out of bed.

"Watch your language! I don't want Ava repeating anything she hears at home when she's at school. She's already gotten in trouble twice in the last month; I can't have it become three." Mom lectures me. I ignore her, rushing over to my closet and pulling out the first thing I lay my eyes on.

I jump out of my sleeping shorts and step into a pair of black leggings. I pull my sleeping shirt over my head and quickly put on a bra. I grab an olive green cropped halter top and throw it on over my head. I toss on a light jean jacket and slip my feet into a pair of black combat boots. When I rush over to my phone, I see only five minutes have passed. I still have another five minutes to leave for Julia. I grab my phone and charger, shoving them into my pocket in my book bag and sling it over my shoulder. I grab my makeup bag before leaving my room and rush down the stairs. I run into the kitchen and grab a water bottle.

"Bye Mom! Love you!" I exclaim, throwing open the side door and shutting it behind me. I walk over to my Jeep and unlock the door, sliding into the drivers seat. I toss my bag onto the back seat and shut the door, putting the key into the ignition and pulling out of the driveway.

I sigh in relief, looking over at the time on the radio and seeing that I'm right on time. I don't know how I managed to get ready so quickly, but I'm just thankful that I did. I turn the volume up on the radio, singing along to the songs until I reach Julia's house. When I pull up front, I don't even have to beep because the second I pull up, she's out the front door and heading for my car.

"Hey," she says.

"Oh my God, you would not believe the morning I just had." I say as I begin to pull away.

"What happened?" she asks.

"All of a sudden my mom comes in my room and is yelling at me to get up. I look at my phone and it was already five after seven. I guess my alarm never went off for some reason, and I somehow got dressed in five minutes. I didn't have time to do my makeup though, but I have gym first so I just brought my makeup bag with me to do it in the locker room." I explain.

"Really? I've never seen you without makeup before, but I never would've guessed you don't have any on. You're so lucky; you're one of those people who looks flawless without any on." Julia compliments me, and I blush. "I, on the other hand, look like a crack addict if I don't put any on." she jokes, and we both burst out laughing.

"Don't say that. You're the prettiest person I know." I assure her, and she beams.

"Thanks." she says, looking at her reflection in the mirror. She pulls out a tube of liquid lipstick and quickly touches up her lips before turning to me. "I was talking to Carson last night and he said he heard there's a lot of people going tonight."

"Really? Does he know how many?" I ask. The light in front of me turns from orange to red, and I slow the car down before coming to a stop.

"I don't know, he just said it's going to be packed so we should probably get there about half an hour after it starts. This way, we won't be too early but we won't miss anything either. Plus, it'll give everyone a chance to see how good we look." Julia says with a little smirk. The light turns green, and we start moving again.

"Why do you care what anyone else thinks if you have Carson?" I ask. "It's not like you have anyone else to impress besides him."

She shrugs.