Chapter 36 || "Stress You Out"

"The test is going to take the majority of the class time to finish. When you're done, bring your paper up to my desk. Since it's a Friday and this is your last class, you can quietly take your phones out for the remainder of the class period. If I hear any talking or music playing, I will give you a zero on your test."

Mrs. Hernandez stands at the front of the room, reciting the lecture she gives every time we take a test. I barely concentrate on her words, though, too nervous about the test to focus on what she's saying.

"I'm going to pass out the tests now. All material on your desk must be put away except for a pen or pencil and a water bottle. If I hear anyone talking, I'm going to take your test and fail you. You may begin as soon as I hand you your test."

Mrs. Hernandez begins to walk around, passing out the tests one by one. I sit in the back of the classroom in the last row, so I'm the last one she hands the test to. When Mrs. Hernandez hands me my test, she whispers, "Good luck, Helaina."

I smile in response and take the test, putting it down on my desk. I inhale and exhale slowly, reminding myself not to stress out. I grab my pen and pick it up, beginning to read the first question

1. When force and displacement are in opposite directions, the work done is said to be:

A. -ve

B. +ve

C. Infinite

D. Maximum

I think for a moment before circling the correct answer. I move onto the next question.

2. The work done in the gravitational field is independent of:

A. Path followed by body

B. Power

C. Work

D. Force

-
-
-

It takes me over an hour to finish the test. By the time I finish working on the last question and put my pen down, I look up to see I have thirteen minutes remaining in class. I take one last look at my test, making sure I didn't leave any questions blank on accident, before standing up to hand the test into Mrs. Hernandez. I place it on her desk and see she's grading another test, red pen scribbled all across it. My heart rate intensifies and I quickly hurry back to my desk, not wanting to think about the possibility of failing yet another test.

I put my pen away and pull out my phone, unlocking it and going on Snapchat. I answer my snaps and feel my phone buzz with a new text message. I look at the top of the screen to the words Shawn: iMessage

I look next to me, glancing over at Shawn, but he acts as though nothing's wrong and keeps looking at his phone. I sigh and open up his message, curious as to what he has to say.

S: I'm sorry.

I roll my eyes and press my home button twice, closing up the app. I don't need to respond to him. It's pretty obvious that I read the message and that I don't want to talk to him, so what more do I need to do?

Minutes pass in the blink of an eye, and the bell rings for the end of the day. I immediately jump up out of my seat and head over to Julia, not wanting to give Shawn the chance to try and speak to me. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see him getting up from his chair and walking away. Good.

"How do you think you did?" Julia asks me.

"I'm hopeful that I did well enough to bring my grade back to passing." I say.