Chapter 41 || "You're So Faded"

I walk over to Shawn, and before I have the chance to sit down, he pulls me onto his lap. The second I sit down, I feel his hand under my butt. I look back at him in surprise, but he continues to look forward like it's nothing. I sit back and throw the blanket on top of us.

"Helainaaaa!" Julia says, dragging my name out. "Take it. We're done with it."

I take the bong out of her hand and set it down on the table in front of me, climbing off of Shawn and sitting on the ground. I quickly realize that I can't reach the top of the bong, so I sit up and go on my knees.

"Hand me the lighter, Ben." I say. He slides it across the table and stands up, heading over to Kennedy. I take the lighter and light the weed again, putting the lighter back down. As I put my head over the top, a piece of my hair falls in front of my face and I tuck it behind my ear.

"I got you." Shawn says, leaning forward. He grabs all of my hair and holds it back for me as I inhale the smoke.

"Helaina's used to Shawn holding her hair like that." Julia says, cracking up. Carson starts laughing with her, and soon enough, so are Ben and Kennedy across the room.

"Yes she is." Shawn says, making them laugh even more.

"Fuck you guys." I say, leaning back in to take in more.

"You're gonna be higher than the
empire state building if you keep inhaling." Carson says.

"Yeah, it's only your first time. Maybe you should slow down." Ben warns.

"God, I'm fine. I didn't realize you guys were my dads." I say, exhaling.

"They're not; that's my job." Shawn whispers into my ear. The heat from his mouth against my neck causes goosebumps to spread across my body, and I begin to laugh.

"Shhh, Shawn. That's a secret." I giggle, leaning back into the bong.

"What's a secret?" Julia asks.

"If I told you, it wouldn't be a secret anymore." I say, looking at her. The second our eyes meet, her and Carson burst out laughing. "What? What's so funny?"

"Oh my God. Guys, come over here and look at Helaina." Julia gasps in between fits of laughter. Immediately, Mason, Ben, Kennedy, and Evelyn come rushing over.

"Holy shit!" Evelyn exclaims, breaking out into a smile.

"You're so faded." Mason says.

"Faded? What does that mean?" I ask.

"It means you're really high." Ben informs me.

"Look at me." Shawn instructs. I turn around and look at her, and he begins to laugh, his head thrown back.

"What?" I ask.

"Your eyes are red as fuck, babe." Shawn laughs.

"What? Let me see!" I say.

"Look at me, Helaina." Kennedy says. I look over at her and the flash on her phone goes off. She turns her phone around and I see a picture on her Snapchat screen.

"Who is that?" I ask, which causes the group to erupt into even more laughter.

"It's you, dumbass!" Julia yells.

"Oh." I say, grabbing Kennedy's phone out of her hand. I look at the picture and realize she's right, and I'm shocked at how weird I look. My eyes are red and watery, and my cheeks are flushed. Even though my physical appearance is the same for the most part, I look... different.

"You're right; that is me." I say, and everyone laughs every harder. "Why is everything I say so funny?"

"We need to get you high more often, Helaina." Ben says, taking Kennedy's phone out of my hands and handing it back to her.