Chapter 50 || "Hungry For You"

I'm taken aback by Shawn's introduction of me. We've never really discussed whether or not we were official and exclusive to one another, although I had always hoped we were. I try to brush off the look of surprise, though, and look at Shawn's parents and smile.

"Hi, it's really nice to meet you." I smile.

"Hi Helaina, it's nice to meet you too." Karen smiles back.

"Nice to meet you." Manuel smiles as well.

"Shawn, we didn't realize you were dating anyone. You're usually so bad at keeping secrets; how did you manage to hide this from us?" Karen asks.

"I don't know, I guess I'm not as bad as you thought." he says with a shrug.

"Well sweetie, you should go say hi to Aaliyah. It'll mean a lot to her that you came even if she won't admit it to you." Karen says.

"Okay, I'll go say hi now." he says, turning to me. "Come on Helaina, you can say hi too."

Shawn pulls me away, leading me over to the table where all the kids are sitting. He walks over to a girl with brown hair and brown eyes, and the second I look at her, I notice they have almost identical faces. This is obviously Shawn's sister.

"Hey Aaliyah, congratulations on your season." Shawn says, smiling down at his little sister.

"Thanks." she smiles back. She glanced over at me and looks back at Shawn, clearly trying to figure out who I am.

"Oh yeah, this is Helaina." Shawn says, putting his hand on the small of my back and gently pushing me forward.

"Hi Aaliyah." I say, smiling at her.

"Hi." she says, and I can tell she's shy. She turns to Shawn and quietly asks, "Is that your girlfriend?"

He laughs and nods.

"Yeah, she is. Okay, well I'm going to let you sit with your friends. We're going back to Mom and Dad now." Shawn says and walks away. I follow behind him and as we head back to the table, I grab onto his jacket and pull him close.

"So I'm your girlfriend?" I ask him.

"Don't you want to be?" he asks, and I roll my eyes.

"Wow, you did a really great job of asking me." I say sarcastically.

"I didn't know how else to introduce you. Besides, I've been thinking and we've already been acting like a couple, so we should just make it official already." he says. "I didn't think you'd care if that's how I introduced you."

"I don't, it just would've been nice if you asked me in advance." I say. "I was caught off-guard and probably looked really surprised when you called me your girlfriend."

"My parents wouldn't notice that. Besides, they probably wouldn't think anything of it." Shawn says.

We reach the table where Shawn's parents are seated, and Shawn pulls out my chair for me to sit. I blush, taken aback by his kind act. I thank him and sit down, and he pulls out the seat next to me and sits.

"So Helaina, do you go to school with Shawn?" Karen asks me.

"Yeah, we have physics together." I say.

"That's how we met, actually. Helaina's the one I was tutoring." Shawn tells her.

"Oh, I see. I knew Shawn mentioned he was tutoring someone in his class, but he never mentioned it was a girl, or one as pretty as you." Karen says, and I blush again.

"Aw, thank you." I say, laughing nervously.

"You're a junior too, Helaina?" Manuel asks, and I nod.