Chapter 19 || "A Giant Mess Of Stupidity"

The next day I drive myself to school, knowing that Julia won't bother to drive me if we're in the middle of a fight. This isn't our first time having a fight while driving each other, and the first time it happened, she stranded me at school without a ride. The day passes without incident, and the thought of Julia and I's fight doesn't cross my mind until the bell rings, signaling that lunch is starting. I stand up from my block three Calculus class, walking out of the classroom and heading down the hall. I wonder if I should even bother showing up to lunch, but I ultimately make the decision to sit at my usual lunch table. They're my friends just as much as they're Julia's, so why should I have to sit somewhere else?

I head outside and see my table filled with my usual group, but notice two empty spots right where Julia and Carson normally sit. I sigh, but I'm not surprised. Walking over to the table, I slide into my seat beside Charlotte. She looks at me and smiles. I smile back, putting my book bag on the ground next to me.

"Where's Mason?" I ask.

"He's sick." Ethan responds, and I nod.

"So, I take it that Julia and Carson aren't eating with us today?" Kennedy asks, and everyone shakes their heads in response.

"Did something happen between the two of them?" Ben asks.

"No, I got in a fight with Julia yesterday in Physics. That's probably the reason why she's not here, and of course Carson went with her wherever." I say.

"Oh yeah, I heard about that!" Kennedy pipes up. "Didn't she slap you?"

I nod, and Charlotte gasps. Kennedy laughs, and I shoot her a look.

"Why would she hit you?" Ethan asks.

"I said something really messed up to her. I don't blame Julia for punching me, to be honest." I say with a sigh, looking down at the table.

"Really? What did you say?" Charlotte asks.

"I told her that at least I don't have to worry about getting pregnant because me and my boyfriend can't keep it in our pants." I reveal, and I watch as everyone looks to me in shock. Charlotte's hands fly up to her mouth in surprise, Kennedy's jaw drops, and Ethan and Ben exchange a look. I look down in shame, feeling my cheeks burn up in embarrassment.

"Holy shit Helaina, that's pretty brutal." Ben says.

"Yeah really." Kennedy agrees. "What were you possibly arguing about that warranted that kind of response?

"Julia was joking around that I need to lighten up and I didn't take it too well. I got offended over something that was never meant to be taken seriously, and I ended up making a remark that I wish I never had. It was a stupid fight to begin with, and I made the stupid decision of making a stupid remark. It was just a giant mess of stupidity on my behalf." I say. "Listen, can we not talk about this anymore? I already feel bad about it and don't need to think about it anymore than I already have."

"Let's talk about my party this weekend!" Kennedy says, and I look to her.

"You're having a party this weekend?" I ask, and she nods excitedly.

"Yup, Friday night. Are you coming Helaina?" Kennedy asks, and just like that, all of the attention is back on me.

"I don't know..." I respond.

"Oh come on!" Kennedy yells.

"You were the highlight of the last party from what I can remember." Kennedy says.

"Yeah, you act a lot different drunk than you do sober." Ben says, and I groan, rolling my eyes.

"Don't most people?" I retort.

"Helaina, you need to come! Don't worry, this one is going to be super low-key. There's not going to be a lot of alcohol served." Kennedy informs me, and I raise an eyebrow suspiciously.

"Oh really? You expect me to believe that?" I raise an eyebrow suspiciously, and she shakes her head and giggles.

"If you come, you'll see why we won't need alcohol." Kennedy tells me, laughing with Ben.

"Fine, whatever. I'll come. It's not like I have anything else going on." I finally give in, and she cheers.

"I can't come." Charlotte interrupts, and Kennedy's face falls.

"What? Why not?" Kennedy asks.

"I have to babysit Friday night from five to ten-thirty." Charlotte says.

"Can't you just come after that?" Kennedy begs, and Charlotte shakes her head.

"I'm always exhausted after babysitting, especially on nights when I had school that day. Sorry Kennedy, maybe next time." Charlotte says.

"If Char's not going, then neither am I." Ethan interjects, and Kennedy groans.

"Ethan!" she whines, and he just shrugs. "Fine, I'm cancelling the party. It's just going to be a get-together with Ben, Helaina and I. I'll text Mason and Evelyn about it and we can see about Julia and Carson, depending on if she's still mad at you Helaina." Kennedy says, already pulling out her phone. I feel my phone vibrate a moment later, pulling it out to see I have a text message. I unlock my phone and open up the group chat that Kennedy created with Ben, Mason, Evelyn, and I.

K: hey guys!! I was gonna have a party on Friday, but Char and Ethan can't come, so I'm just gonna have a little 'get-together' instead if everyone can. Lmk if you're up for it!

K: also no one mention this to Carson and Julia yet. Helaina and Julia are in a fight so I'm not gonna invite them until Julia and Helaina make up

The bell rings, and we all jump up to head back inside for the final class of the day. I say goodbye to everyone and head inside, reluctantly heading down the hallway towards physics. As I approach the classroom, once again I don't see Mrs. Hernandez standing outside. When I step inside, a substitute different from the one yesterday is there. I walk up to her at Mrs. Hernandez's desk.

"Hi, what's your name?" she asks.

"Helaina Jefferson." I respond, and watch as the substitute checks my name off the list.

"Here's the worksheet your teacher left. It's due at the end of class." she says. I thank her and walk away, heading over to my desk. Since there's still two minutes until the bell rings, I pull my phone out to see I have a bunch of new notifications. I slide my finger on the screen and unlock my phone, pulling up the group chat that Kennedy created in lunch and read through the messages.

E: I'm down for a party

K: get-together!

E: Sorry, I'm down for a *get-together

M: Me too

K: yay! also, feel better Mason

M: Thanks lol

B: This probably goes without saying, but I'm going too

E: Is Helaina?

I begin typing.

H: hey guys

H: yeah I'm going

K: this is going to be fun hahaa

K: oh btw Helaina, you can invite someone if you want since it's gonna be like all couples. I don't want you to feel weird.

H: who would I invite?

I'm about to hit send on the message when I feel a presence plop down on the seat in front of me. I look up from my phone to see Shawn looking at me, a smirk on his face.

"Hey Helena."