27.It's a Date

Uncomfortable. I was hot and sticky and my insides ached tormented by merciless claws of feelings I couldn't quite put into words.

Stuck in the backseat of a black, impersonal car, I let my breath fog the window beside me.

My driver was a quiet fellow, big and burly.

I had no idea where I was going. But when had I ever?

As the light turned red, we slowed down to a halt. My eyes peered at the city streets. Patches of gray snow scattered about the sidewalk. A kid wrapped in a deep crimson winter jacket jumped from one frosty spot to the next. My fingertip marked the kid's place in the outside world by touching the fogged window between me and his red jacket.

Boop! My special phone let me know that I had a message.

'Everything is in order. I'm there waiting for you.'

I stared at the sender's name wishing it was Dionysus. Master. Jack. Instead of the bodyguard that he had assigned to me.

***

Henry stood in the hotel lobby. Elegant in his black suit but stiff as a pole as he donned a soldier's demeanor.

My own back straightened and I couldn't help smiling. 'Bedroom eyes' they called them and Henry aimed them at me with such longing that they sent pricks and needles through my chest.

I loved the way he leered at me — all for the sake of my ego and vanity. But won't Henry's gaze change after tonight?

This is not how I expected things to go, Jack.

A wave of nausea threatened to crack my composure. I looked away from Henry and located the hotel elevator.

It's fine. It will be fine. This isn't what it looks like.

My mind drew up images of the large TV I had acquired earlier that evening — for Jack to play his games at my place. Fuck...

Henry disappeared from my peripheral vision. Only the gilded elevator door remained and it was getting closer and closer until Steve Finley's reflection stood before me.

Hello, whore! My finger stabbed at the elevator button.

I avoided the sight of that being. The shoes I wore proved more interesting as I stared down with a lowered head. My temple tickled as a drop of sweat streaked down to my cheek. I wiped it off with the back of my hand. So uncomfortable.

"Sir, allow me," Henry said from behind.

Hands unraveled my white scarf, removing it. The gray coat slipped off my shoulders and a load lifted from my numb body.

"Thank you," I uttered glancing at Henry.

He held my scarf and coat draped over his forearm. Tiny cartoon faces of animals decorated his fingers on band-aids that covered the scratches and pricks his hands had earned that morning on our mountain climbing adventure.

I smirked at the contrast the kid band-aids brought to his otherwise stern and professional attire.

Ding! The elevator chimed, beckoning our attention.

We entered and Henry pressed the '12' button.

"Did they run out of grown-up plasters or were you feeling especially rebellious?" I asked looking up at Henry with what was probably an annoying smug grin.

He raised a hand wiggling his fingers. "I thought these would make you laugh."

With a sigh, my face relaxed into a sincere simper.