you're an asshole

Sighing for the umpteenth time in one evening, both you and your date were growing tired of the constant interruptions.
You had tried to have a good time on your time off from Shadowhunter duty, a nice evening out with a potential boyfriend or even a simple one-night stand, but Alec was having none of that. From the moment you met with the guy to an hour later, he hadn't stopped calling or sending text messages, or emails, asking for your assistance. It was pulling at your last string, annoyed that he couldn't let you have some fun, and a bit hurt that he was so adamant about making you miserable.

You said goodbye to your date, both departing disappointed at the outcome. Once in the Institute, you didn't bother talking to anyone or replying to your friends' catcalls. You slammed the door to your room closed and locked it. You wanted nothing to do with anyone, least of all Alec.

The next evening, after spending the whole day in the Institute trying to find out what was so important that Alec couldn't leave you alone, you had decided to try to have a fun time again with your date from the previous evening. And once more, Alec was barraging you with texts and calls. Your date had finally had enough and just left you in the middle of dinner. Depressed that this had to happen, you sent a message to Alec, simply telling him he succeeded in making you miserable for the second time in a row.

The waiter brought the food and you smiled awkwardly. You picked at your food dismally, the wonderful aroma leaving a bland taste in your mouth. Someone cleared their throat and you looked up to see none other than Alec.

"What do you want? Here to destroy my dinner as well? God knows you ruined everything else."

"Can I join?"

"Oh, be my guest. Not like it's gonna eat itself."

He sat down and stared at the order awkwardly.

"So erm... How's your evening?"

"Wonderful," you replied with a bucket load of sarcasm; "we had a nice stroll through the park to the tune of my incoming calls and messages. Then I managed to convince them to have dinner anyway, but - you won't guess what happened next - the waiter kept interrupting us with messages to call work. What are the odds, right? Two nights in a row!"

You set your fork down and grabbed the glass of wine,

"and now here I am. Enjoying the rest of my ruined evening with you. Cheers."

You raised the glass to the awkward teen in front of you and took a sip of your favorite wine.

Alec sat there with a guilty look to him, which further annoyed you. So much that tears unwillingly slid down your cheeks. You used the tissue to dab your eyes, sniffling softly.

"I'm going to the bar next door."

You stood up and paid the bill, then proceeded to make your way to the lounge bar not far from the restaurant. Alec silently followed.

You ordered several drinks to your table, not caring how weird it looked when you downed the first one as soon as the waiter brought them.

"Look, I'm sorry."

"Yeah," you snorted in indignation,
"I'm sure you are."

"I am."

"You're not sorry for anything, Lightwood. That's just who you are - an egotistical asshole. Only cares about himself."

"I care about you."

"Could've fooled me."

You downed another highly intoxicating drink, hiccuping gently from the amount of liquid in your system.

"I think that's enough."

"Ha. You think you have any r-right to tell me what to do when it's all your fucking fault to begin with?"

A sure sign of your steady intoxication was the swearing, which you never did when sober. It made Alec break into a subconscious smile without him even realising what impact it would have.

"I can see this is all just too amusing to you. Why did you even bother coming here? I didn't ask nor wanted."

His brown eyes that have always enchanted you were now sullen with grief.

"I wanted to keep you company."

"Oh, to appease your guilt? Is that how this works? You ruin my date, then stroll up like some knight in shining armour so you wouldn't have to go to bed with a guilty conscience? Great!"

You raise a shot glass to your lips, feeling the numbing affect of the alcohol.

"I'm not like you." You choked out in tears, "I don't enjoy going to bed alone, living my life alone. I hate being alone. And I hate you for keeping me stuck here."

Your words had stung him into silence, so you downed your last drink and wobbled to pay the bill so you could just leave. Escape Alec.

The world around you moved in a blur, the lights more vivid and colourful than before. It put a smile to your face.

"Hold on," Alec caught up to you and helped you walk to the apartment you had in the city because you didn't like being confined in the Institute.

He unlocked the front door and sat you down on the small sofa, getting you some water. You were too numb to react viciously to him sitting down and pulling you to his chest.

"I don't like being alone either."

You looked at him with a frown.

"I just... I didn't want you to find happiness with someone other than me. That's why I kept interrupting your date."

"You're an asshole," you murmured, small smiles on both your faces. He chuckled,

"but I'll be yours for 200."

"Maybe. Ask me in the morning, I'd just say yes now."