TO BE HUMAN

"So you are telling me that Shadowhunters and Human-" Clary started but you cut her off

"Mundanes. That's what we call humans"

"Okay then Mundanes and Shadowhunters don't have much in common by the seems of it" She said as she thought about everything you have been trying to teach her for the last few hours.

"Well no really we have many things in common but we just have more power over the things we control" You explained hoping that she was starting to catch on. Clary was a stubborn kid and like to think that everything was so simple in this world when she really had no idea.

"Not one thing we don't," Isabelle said as she walked into your bedroom, she was smiling like always but held a more seriousness to her face and tone.

"What's that?" Clary asked with excitement in her voice, she wanted something to help her feel like her old self again. Isabelle looked at you then to Clary and let out

"Love"

"Love?"

"It's what makes us Mundanes" You crossed your arms, you were hoping that Isabelle wasn't going to say anything about love as it was such a cruel part of being a shadowhunter.

"What's so bad about being in love?" Clary was confused and her face showed it. She didn't get why being in love with someone was so bad. Human craved it, she did once with a cute boy at a coffee shop but that didn't matter right now.

"Like I said it brings out our Mundane side. It makes us weak for battle and lets us show our true emotions to everyone. It's useless" You explain to her. Love was a battle in this world because you risked your life everyday for something you were born to do and love always seemed to get in the way of that. It helps you shape decisions that aren't always good.

"Useless!" Clary shouted, she was shocked that someone could even say that. "How could you say that? I bet you haven't even been in love before if you could say something like this" Her face seemed to show anger at you and all you could do was grin. Isabelle laughed as Clary stared you down not wanting to be rude but she couldn't help it.

"Am I missing something?" Clary asked as she looked back and forth between you two. She didn't know what was so funny about her outburst. Her eyes finally landed on Isabelle but she wasn't looking at Clary but down at your hand. Clary's eyes followed it until she was also met with your hand but the ring on your finger made her stop. How did she not notice this in the hours that you two had been together. She knew what was so funny now.

"So you're in love?" Clary said bringing her eyes back up to your face. You nodded at the girl, you couldn't help but blush at the thought of Alec. He was your weakness.

"How do you think I know everything?" You laughed, you had to lived it to really know how it all went down. "I love him with everything I have. I know he makes me weak, he makes me forget about my duty as a shadowhunter and I couldn't love him anymore for that but that's the problem. He interfered with my job but at the end of the day it doesn't matter because I have him"

"Show me"

"What?"

"Show me you are really in love with someone, I need to see it to know it's true and not just take yours or Isabelle word for it."

"Okay" You nodded your head then smile at Isabelle. She knew that you were happy that you had a real excused to go see what Alec was up too. Clary was helping you in a way she couldn't even understand.

As you three enter the lobby, your eyes glanced around the room looking for the tall brunette boy. He always seemed to stick out when in a crowded room. Maybe it was his height or it was that he just always tended to be the person you needed to feel alright. Your eyes finally landed on him by a tracker screen with Jace. Jace caught your eye and smiled. You made your way over with Clary and Isabelle following closely behind.

"Hey guys" You greeted as you stood by the two boys.

"Hey" Jace replied as his eyes wander over to met Clary's. Alec didn't even look up from the screen just reached out his arm and pulled you close to him. You wrapped your arms around his waist and leaned into him.

"Busy day?" You asked just loud enough for you two to hear. Alec just nodded finally moving his face so he could met your eye. He was taller than you but Alec loved that he could fit you right into his arms. He smile at the sight of your face, man did he ever love you.

"I wanted you to meet Clary" You said as you turned you guys so you face the others.

"I'm Alec" Alec reached out a hand so she could shake it but still not moving from holding you.

"Clary" Alec stay neutral as he scanned Clary up and down obviously trying to get a read on her.

"So what brings you here? Aren't you guys suppose to be studying?" Alec asked, he was confused but he didn't mind as he got to see your face.

"Clary here wa-" You went to explain but Clary cut you off before you had a chance.

"It was nothing. I just needed a break for a moment" You look at Clary puzzled with her answer but you let it be. "We will be going then" And without another word Clary grabbed Isabelle and started to make their way to the back of the room.

"What is all this about?" Alec asked as he turned to face you.

"She wanted to see my lover"

"And here I was thinking it was because she wanted to meet the head"

"Sorry babe but it was for your handsome good looks" You teased with a smirk. Alec rolled his eyes at your words but still held a grin on his face. "She really wanted to see what makes us like Mundanes. Love was the only thing she curious in and you know how I am" Alec nodded knowing that you always had a few coloured words when it came to being in love but at the end of the day he knew you wouldn't trade in for anything. Alec brought one hand up to your cheek, slowly rubbing it as his eyes showed passion.

"Alec were in public" You whispered. You guys weren't the type for PDA.

"Don't care, I'm going to show Clary you are truly in love" With that Alec's lips met yours for a slow and gentle kiss. It was only for a moment because someone cleared their throat. Jace.

"Sorry lovebirds but we need to get back to this"

"You ruin everything Jace" You said pulling your own eyeroll. "I'll see you after Alec" You made your way over to the two girls standing in the back. Alec never took his eyes off of you until Jace nudge him to get back to work.

"Why do you talk so badly about it?" Clary asked when you stopped by them.

"Like I said earlier it bring out my mundane or human side.I don't like it overpowering me like it does."

Clary nodded but she still didn't fully get it. She knew with time she would because if she fell in love when doing this job it could only mean trouble as did everything else. You guys didn't say anymore just made your way back to your room but you lingered for a moment. You took one last look at Alec and smiled. Your heart flutter and you knew then, that maybe just maybe feeling like a mundane for a period of time was okay. After all what would life be without love