Alec Lightwood and the Mute

Credits to because-I-can-stuff on tumblr http://because-i-can-stuff.tumblr.com/

I am a loner, not because I don't like people, but because I am afraid of losing them. This is not an unreasoned fear, I lost my parents when I was little and I had to stand by and watch it. They died protecting me and my older brother, but no one knows that, because I don't talk. With no one, not even my own brother, I just forgot how to. After witnessing my beloved parent's death I shut down completely and stopped talking. And because now everyone thinks I am a mute, I don't bother to change that, at least no one forces me to talk. I and my brother Jonah were both sent to the New York institute after our parent's death, due to our uncle working there. Life was hard, but we had to learn to cope with it, a Shadowhunter never shows weakness. At least it brought something good, the Lightwood siblings whom were now my best friends, even without verbally communicating we understood each other perfectly, especially me and Alec, there is such a strong connection between us, that I sometimes wonder if we are really just friends or if there's more to that. Anyways how you can probably guess, I am not really a fan of working together with other Shadowhunter on mission, not that I don't think they're not capable, but not talking makes some situations difficult, so I only go on solo missions, no talking more doing. Well, and that is exactly the reason why me and Alec are fighting at the moment. "Y/N, you are not going on this mission!" Alec said a bit aggregated, I pulled my eyebrow up, as if to say 'and why's that?' "You know exactly why! It's a suicide mission even with a partner, I wouldn't let you go, it's too dangerous and you can't even shout for help, so my decision is clear and as the head of the institute you have to obey or else it will have consequences even for you!" HE said getting louder and louder towards the end, trying to bring his point of view across of me. Reacting to Alec's outburst I threw him a sarcastic smile, turned around and left. Alec knew me well and understood that I was beyond pissed. This was definitely not the first time this happened, he knew that I was one hell of a fighter and had my priorities set, so why wouldn't he let me do my job? Even Jonah, who was more than skeptical to let me off alone, accepted it at one point and let me do my own thing, but Alec wouldn't get it in his head that I can take care of myself, sure I may not talk, but that doesn't mean that I am weak, who does he think he is. My thoughts making me angrier than I already was, I didn't consider Izzy's words of wisdom, maybe Alec liked me and doesn't want me to get hurt, but I consider that bullshit, Alec doesn't like anybody, at least in the romantic way, "Shadowhunters' don't show feelings, or else it gets them hurt" those were Alec's wise words. While my mind was running wild with angry thoughts I geared up for the mission I was not supposed to go one, indeed it might be a suicide mission, but I know I can handle it, there's a reason I didn't die on any of my hundred solo missions. Sneaking past Alec who stared intently at one of the monitors in the main hall, I quickly made my way out of the institute and of to find the rouge demon clique. As soon as I got there I understood why Alec wouldn't let me go alone, there were way more demons that I thought.
Meanwhile at the institute
Alec was focused on one of the monitors in the main hall, at least it seemed like it. "What's going through your head, bro?" Jace asked his Parabatai, who experienced a near heart attack from the sudden noise. "Don't do that, Jace!" "Well than, what's going on with you?" "I and Y/N fought, again... and now she is pissed and I don't know how to fix it. She just doesn't want to understand why she can't go on this mission!" Alec said frustrated. "Dude, you know that she didn't listened to you, right?" Alec gave Jace a questioning look "Alec, she went on that mission, I saw her gear up like an hour ago" "What?!? Why didn't you tell me this earlier??" "How the hell was I supposed to know that you told her not to?" After that being said Alec dashed out of the room, went to grab his bow and quiver and went to find Y/N in the fastest way possible. Jace was right behind him, not letting his Parabatai do this alone.
As the two Shadowhunters arrived at the fight scene, it was already a big mess. There were at least twenty demons and Y/N was still standing strong at least that's what the boys believed, the second Alec cried out Y/N name, she got distracted and missed the demon she was supposed to slay. From this moment on everything went downhill. The demon took advantage of the very moment and got Y/N bad and Alec watched in slow motion how the silent girl he adored so much cried out in pain and made contact with the asphalt ground. In this moment of blind rage Alec took nearly every single demon out and the ones he didn't kill he left for Jace to take care of. As soon as the area was cleared out of demons Alec kneeled down next to Y/N and his heart died a bit. His mind was still working in overdrive, he drew a healing rune on her body and took her in the quickest way possible back to the institute.
33 hours later- Y/N POV
Darkness was surrounding me and I didn't understood why, I don't remember going to sleep, so why is everything so dark? I tried opening my eyes but they wouldn't budge, was I dead? Is this how being dead feels? Weird, it feels kind of nice, sure my body hurts, but it's so comfy and warm, my hand is a bit sweaty too. As I try to wipe my hand off, I fell some pressure there and suddenly hear a voice. "Y/N?" it calls, still trying to force my eyes open the voice keeps on talking "Come on, I know you are in there, please just wake up, I can't live any longer if you are not here with me. I love you, please wake up!" The voice actually sounded a lot like Alec, but why would he say such things? What the hell happened? Having enough of the darkness I pulled all my strength and will together and pried my eyes open, only to see white blinding light and a tearstained Alec. I groaned, trying to get his attention, him still holding his monologue. The second he looked me in the eyes a grin slit across his face, but vanished as fast as it came. "Y/N, I am so sorry this happened, I was the reason you got hurt, if I hadn't distracted you none of this would have happened..." I waved a hand in front of his face again gaining his attention and pointing to the water on the bedside table. Man, was I thirty. Alec, being the sweetheart he is holding the cup to my mouth and enabling me to drink, clearing my throat I spoke my first words since at least 10 years "I love you too" The look on Alec's face was priceless, he looked so shocked, either because I talked or because I told him I felt the same or maybe both, but I didn't care. Those were my first words ever to him and I don't regret them. "You... you can talk, I mean you just talked... and you love me" Alec was flabbergasted, his one true love was feeling the same way. His dream finally came true. What happened next, I would've never thought that mister shy-pants would ever make the first and final move. You wouldn't believed me if I told you that he kissed me, like in on swift unexpected move his lips where on mine and we were both moving in sync. And let me tell you this was definitely not my first kiss but it was by far the best, there was so much passion and love in just this one simple kiss. As the oxygen got less we both pulled away and it was as if the time stopped moving, we were just staring at each other and trying to realize what just happened and while doing so it happened again and again, it was like some magnetic force was pulling us together. In the end I scooted over to make room for Alec in my infirmary bed and all we did was cuddle and talk, well Alec was talking and I was listening, because you can't just go from ten years without even muttering a word and then suddenly hold long conversations, so I stuck to listening and even sometimes answering, which still is a weird feeling. But with Alec by my side I would master this mission of finding myself again too. There sure was a lot more to come for me.
The End