Chapter 21- Fight Till The Last Breath

Disclaimer: all characters (apart from Philip and Grace), settings and the main plot belong to the amazing Cassandra Clare. Only Grace, Philip and my own story plot and sub-plots belong to me. I do not own the Infernal Devices no matter how much I wish I did ;)

A/N: Yep, more tissues will be needed in this chapter. Maybe more so than before...probably...definitely...I am warning you...
********************************************************************************************
'This is my fight song
Take back my life song
Prove I'm alright song
My power's turned on
Starting right now I'll be strong
I'll play my fight song
And I don't really care if nobody else believes
'Cause I've still got a lot of fight left in me.'

- Fight Song, Rachel Pattern
********************************************************************************************
-

*-*-*-*- Grace -*-*-*-*-
Grace stepped through the portal and looked around at the cavern. It was huge, the ceiling so high that she couldn't even see the top. Cecily was in front of her, also looking in wonder. "I'll give this to Mortmain," she said. "He knows how to pick a good secret lair." Grace rolled her eyes at the comment.

"Focus, Cecily," she said. "We've got to find Will and Tessa." As soon as everyone came through the portal, Charlotte took charge and split off everybody into groups. They had half an hour to search for Will and Tessa before meeting back in the central cavern.

Grace went off on her own to the west side of the mountain. Before she left, she glanced at Philip who gave her a grim nod before he went to the east.

Walking down the corridors with only her witchlight to guide her, Grace watched carefully for any attackers while checking every room for Will or Tessa. She passed a room with a desk inside then another one that was completely bare. When she turned the corner into another corridor, she spotted Magnus leaning up against the wall.

"Ah, Grace," he said. "I've found them."

"Are they in there?" She asked, nodding at the door that was in the wall.

"Yes," he replied. "They are just...clothing themselves." Grace raised an eyebrow but said nothing. She leant up against the wall next to the warlock, twirling a knife in her hands to keep herself busy.

"I never said thank you," she told him. Magnus gave her a quizzical look.

"For what?"

"For looking after me," she said softly. "You've always been there. Looking back now it was clear. I just never realised." Magnus chuckled.

"You're only the second Shadowhunter who has had ever thanked me sincerely," he said thoughtfully.

"Who was the first?" Grace asked with a grin, the first real grin she had smiled since Jem...

"That idiot," Magnus said, nodding his head at the door which had just opened. Will stepped out, followed by Tessa, both of them dressed in gear. He froze when he looked up at Grace.

"Hey, Will," she said softly.

"Grace..." he whispered. Within two seconds, he had crossed the corridor an wrapped his arms around her, hugging her so tightly that she didn't think he would let go.

"I'm all right, Will," she mumbled. But she knew she wasn't, and Will knew it too. He finally let go of her, but still checked her over.

"Will, don't worry about me," she said. She drew a couple of blades and handed them to Will before he could say anything more. "Come on, we've got to find the others." The four of them started running, and Grace fell in step with Will as she had so many times before.